1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Windshield is cracking...

So the other day I got hit by a rock. The noise of the rock hitting the window was loud enough that I thought the jeep got shot and it scared the crap out of me. I looked at the window from inside and saw nothing.

So the other day I notice a small glimmer coming from the center top of my windshield while I was driving. After a closer look, I could see that it was starting to crack behind the DoD sticker. Damn.

So knowing we are going wheeling this Saturday, I figured I would push replacing it off until we get back. I remember thinking to myself "man, I hope it does not crack more".

So yesterday I got in my jeep and noticed that the crack was growing and was now behind where my rear view mirror mounts. I just hoped it would not crack more and almost begged the window to stop cracking.

So this morning the crack had babies and I now have two cracks with one starting to aim down in the seven o'clock position and the other to the 5. So again like a dumbass, I said to myself "man, I hope the crack does not shoot across the window and mess up my view".

So this afternoon I jumped in the jeep to head home from work and noticed that one crack took a turn and is now shooting across my windshield and is growing. Obviously it is doing the opposite of what I hope it will do...

So, with that said, I will post it here and I sat in the jeep and said it out loud many times before going into the house..... "I hope the crack does not start to get smaller and heal itself."

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahah. professor just asked me what was so funny. sorry bout your windshield, but best way i've seen it told

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine has two cracks that grows everyday that are almost all the way across it now. I am waiting until all cold weather is over before I replace it.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cold weather, or changes from warm to cold throughout the day are probably causing it to grow.
    Most insurance companies will take care of this w/o a deductible. The glass repair company will come out to your house or where you work and take care of it in about an hour.

Edit: I take part of that back. If it was a patch job when it was chipped it would have been free. You may end up having to pay a deductible to get the windshield replaced, but that depends on your insurance company.
    Last edited by Jeffb_79; 02-23-2009 at 20:31.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    The cold weather, or changes from warm to cold throughout the day are probably causing it to grow.
    Most insurance companies will take care of this w/o a deductible. The glass repair company will come out to your house or where you work and take care of it in about an hour.

Edit: I take part of that back. If it was a patch job when it was chipped it would have been free. You may end up having to pay a deductible to get the windshield replaced, but that depends on your insurance company.
    Got USAA, not sure what they will do. I really have zero time right now to take care of this, so I am going to let it go as long as I can or at least until we get back from our upcoming TDY.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My windshield is cracked on the passenger side and I have about 10 chips throughout. Gonna change it out this summer. Out here in the Boonies it will cost me about $100 bucks and the company will come to my house from about an hour a way. You could always leave the windshield out, put on some goggles, a scarf and a beanie. Once summer hits you would just need the goggles to keep the bugs out of your eyes. Remember, keep your mouth closed unless you like bugs.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much do windshields cost for the wranglers??? Mine also is cracked in two spots. "Nothing to do with wheeling it this past Saturday"
    Darren Sr.
    Master at arms (E-6)
    Military Police/ Navy

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VillanoSr View Post
    How much do windshields cost for the wranglers??? Mine also is cracked in two spots. "Nothing to do with wheeling it this past Saturday"
    At the most, whatever your insurance deductible is.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VillanoSr View Post
    I've replaced two windshields on my Wranglers and they both cost $100 - $120. And they came to my driveway and had it done in about 45 mins.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure who my friend used but they came to the house or work, don't remember, and it cost $230.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast