Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stock axles dana 30/35

Just a curious question .. I have the stock axles on my jeep now, I will upgrade someday, BUT how much can these axles really take ?? I hear that they are shit and i have been told that unless i am daily rock crawling and really beatin the Jeep up that i shouldnt worry about it. I was just thinking that I'd do whatever until i break them. Due to the Current Position as a Drill Sergeant My work Play time is like 90% road and 10% play. any advice or ideas would clear this up..
    "We are the people our parents warned us about"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part, you should be able to safely run 33" tires if you leave the D35 open.
    The dana 30 seems to be decent up to 35" tires, but the D35 is your weak link. I wouldn't spend any money on upgrading the D35 at all. You could always do allow axles and a lockright locker for the D30.
    Depending on what direction you plan on going in the future, it may not be that cost effective to try beefing up the D30 either.
    If your ultimate goal is to run tires larger than 35" I would just start saving up and looking for axles.

All that being said, I've seen D35's poop out on 31" tires.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeff is right. one question though, is your d30 out of a YJ or a TJ? if it's out of a YJ your gonna want to buy a d30 TJ passenger side axle shaft to put in. the passenger side axle shaft for a YJ is a two piece shaft with an air actuated fork that enguages and disenguages. its and easy mod to do. i ran with a d30 front and 8.8 combo with 4.88 gears and 37"x12.5" MTRs for a while and had no problem. with either axle. the good thing about the 8.8 is its almost a direct bolt in. hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!!!!!!
    www.viperoffroad.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dana 30 is stock in my YJ. I have no probs with either axle im definately upgrading them soon I just was wondering, This is my first jeep and like to know the real deal on this stuff, I appreciate all the help. Im always open for any new info

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gonna upgrade forsure, I just heard so many different answers. I think i might just drive them till i break one of them..thanks for the tips Im all ears for new ideas..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really run off road and push them the fronts WILL break. That's not a terrible thing, it's just a weak spot on the design. If you run on the stock until they break, they will break at the worse possible time. It will be raining and muddy and you'll be 50 miles from any parts store. Suggestion: Upgrade to chromoloy and carry your stock at backups.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just upgraded to an 8.8 with an Aussie locker, so I could run Black trails. However, I ran my d35 with an Aussie and 33x12.5x15 BFG M/T's for 3 years running Blue trails. The Skinny Pedal is your friend, abuse it and the d35 is $hit, be gentle with it and you'll be OK, but you should still consider upgrading to the d44 or 8.8 rear. The d30 on my TJ hasn't had a problem, it's still stock, don't know much about YJ d30's.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    The d30 on my TJ hasn't had a problem, it's still stock, don't know much about YJ d30's.
    they're about the same. the only difference is the YJ Passenger Side Axe Shaft is a 2 piece shaft with an air actuated fork that locks and unlocks the axle shaft. an easy mod is to put a TJ Passenger Side Axle Shaft. the TJ shaft is a solid shaft.
    I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!!!!!!
    www.viperoffroad.com

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to afford to do an 8.8 swap and 4.88 gears for mine, because I don't want to spend the money on my D35, even though I go easy on the gas, and 33"s are the biggest this jeep will EVER see.
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I said a few years ago, now my 2" BB and 33's are gone and I'm now at 4" lift, 1.25" BL, 35's and an 8.8. Next year, maybe bigger, d44 front, ARB and 37's.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast