User Tag List

Thread: So Much For My Rust Free Jeep!!!!!

Non-MVC Supporter Military Jeeper's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So Much For My Rust Free Jeep!!!!!

So today I bit the bullet and decided to tackle some of the small rust bubbles that have formed in the 2 yrs I've lived in Hawaii.
    The problem spots where along the door seam (where the door hinges are located) and along the lower windshield leading edge (Where the cowl air intake meet the lower portion of the windshield). And finally the floor pans started bubbling.

In short, HOLY [email protected] is the best thing I can say. I ended up cutting out about 2-3 inches of sheet metal on each side of the door seams. I ended up grinding about a .25 inch+ out of the seam along the windshield edge and ground out a couple new holes in the floor pans (new drain plugs.......NOT).

Didn't have my camera with me but let's just say I wasn't expecting the rust to be this bad. I had a POR15 starter kit that I used on it and I'm hoping it will work.

The other thing that really ticked me off was that the PO had a lot of bondo built up along the door seam which caused the panels to rot from the inside out. I have about a .25 inch gap between the outer sheet metal and the inner sheet metal (What was Jeep thinking........it's basically an empty void between the panels). The PO loaded this with bondo, as well as the windshield area which is where all the rust formed. As a result of all the windshield area rust the inside of the tub directly underneath it was rotting away too I found out when I pulled the dash so I started grinding off the inside tub lip that is basically a lip to hold water and I will smooth it out and POR15 the inside area too. POR15 also makes a seam sealer which I will apply once I finish the initial stuff.

I know this thread is useless without pics............but I'll post pics once I get to tear into it again. If you live near the ocean, start keeping an eye on these areas.
    NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE MOUNTAIN VALLEY CUSTOMS (MVC) FOR ANY 4x4 MODIFICATIONS - PM ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS WHY!

(To those who wonder, I am NOT the club founder, this has been my screen name for over 10 yrs on all other forums and ironically this site is called "Military Jeepers"......contact miljeep for forum related questions)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you found pandora's box of jeeps....sorry to hear it bud.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like all the normal rust spots might wanna check the back under the tail lights as well
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing that you decided to take care of it while it was still repairable.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.