Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TJ lift

I'm looking to do a budget lift to my 02 TJ. I want to be no higher than 2". I know there are spacer lifts out there but someone was telling me that I should try and go with replacing my coils. I know you can change the front coils out with ones from an XJ but does anyone have any experience with or know about what kind of coils I can use to add lift to my TJ and where to purchase them? Or does anybody have any other ideas that would help? Thanks in advance for the help.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, the deal on cheap lifts: Coil spacers are one of the easiest and cheapest ways to achieve 2" of lift, just get the spacers and pick up a set of shocks mentioned HERE separately (get these before they are ALL sold out).

XJ springs will be a either a really cheap, or free way to level out a sagging front, but will do nothing for "overall" lift.

Rubi springs will net around 1" overall lift, however since they came off a Rubicon, people tend to think they are made of gold, and try to get as much as they can from unsuspecting buyers. Annoying to be sure, but there a couple people out there that will give you a set of Rubi springs, who knows, you might get lucky.

Combining a coil spacer lift and rubi springs will net most jeeps around 3"-ish of over-all lift, however, once you cross the 2" limit, there are some other things one should take care of/watch out for (and you might just be better off going for the V8 ZJ front springs and crown vic rears, they would be cheaper and you wouldn't have the spacers).... but you're only looking for 2", and I digress.

If you're looking to do it right and don't mind paying a bit extra, I haven't heard one bad thing about Old Man Emu's complete 2" lift kit.

There are a few other 2" lift kits out there, like teraflex, and whatnot, if you're looking for a complete kit, but don't want to go with OME.

Those are a few of the options available to you. I hope this reply has been helpful, and good luck on your modification!

-Shane
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my re bb is pretty awsome. it took prolly only 4 hours to do and it wasnt that hard. I have the bb on till i can afford a 4" suspension lift.
    Guns dont kill people..... gaping holes in vital organs kill people...

The real test comes when all strength has fled and man must produce victory on will alone.

Chevreep

Back to 1 Jeep... for now rroadkilll's Avatar

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been running a 2"BB for the last year...

LOVE IT!!!

But....

Looking to sell it... There is this event coming up that I want to be a lil taller for!!! (campMJ.com)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BucketOKarma View Post
    (and you might just be better off going for the V8 ZJ front springs and crown vic rears, they would be cheaper and you wouldn't have the spacers).... but you're only looking for 2", and I digress.
    How much lift would you achieve with the above combo? And does any year crown vic work? If I did go with this option, is the change out pretty much taking the old springs off and putting the new ones on or is some modifing that needs to be done? I just want something inexpensive and that will work until the Jeep is paid off and then I can go with a 4"-4.5" lift. All the information is very useful. Again, thanks in advance.
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe any late '90s crown vic rears should work, some people say the police package ones are better. If you do want to go with the "Frankenlift 3" you should either do a t-case drop, or SYE, look into getting longer brake lines, and make sure your steering agles are corrected, you will also need longer shocks because your stock ones will almost fully extended all the time.

Like I said, once you cross the 2" line, there are alot of other things that start needing attention.

This is my jeep after just doing a coil spacer, on 31" BFG ATs

Here it is with the same lift and tires, plus XJ springs in the front.

Here it is again, same coil spacers and XJ front springs, but with 32" BFG ATs

I'm very happy with this lift as a whole and I have plenty of room for 33"s. What are your plans for your rig (tire size, lift, application, etc)?
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a Jeep that got progressively dirtier!!!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BucketOKarma View Post
    What are your plans for your rig (tire size, lift, application, etc)?
    I plan on running 33s as max since this is my DD and it keeps the wife at bay. Mud, the woods, dirt, a little bit of some rocks. I'd like to keep the lift at the point where I can run 33s with very good flex.
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, run a BB and a 1" BL. You will comfortably fit 33s for the type of wheeling you said you wanted to do and still have nice on-road manners.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    IMO, run a BB and a 1" BL. You will comfortably fit 33s for the type of wheeling you said you wanted to do and still have nice on-road manners.
    Agreed... I could fit 33's with my BB with a little rubbing...

I just want to go bigger with springs... not that I can go to hi, cannot afford the SYE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast