User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starving for fuel... Any suggestions?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starving for fuel... Any suggestions?

Ive got a 1960 CJ5 with either a F or L head (not sure of the differances, anyone know) that consistantly gets starved of fuel on extended uphill angle (never had a carberated eng. like this one so im not aware if this is just the reallity of carbs). Is it possible being cause by the fuel pickup in the tank (fuel level full), carb limits reallity, or my mechanical fuel pump which does have a small but constant leak (not leaking at the lines or gasket, unit does need replacing eventually)? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or any quick fix remedies or helpul tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hay bro u jus need to clean ur carb possibly rebuild it even then it aint goin to be that great lol shes old but she did some awsome shit the other day
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2 on the carb clean probly it but the mech fuel pump is very easy to change take out the 2 bolts pull it out put new one in put in 2 bolts switch hoses from old to new about a 10 minute job and they don't cost too much
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i appreciate it guys, i hope a carb rebuild will remedy the problem but im not looking forward to it. i gotta be honost though they scare the hell outta me. seems like every time i touch one (dirtbike, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc.) the problem is never solved or even gets worse. im a injection and diesel guy. i would rather swap an engine than fiddle fart with one! i am in the middle of one of those as well (see below). i do have a chiltons and i guess some support on here though. if things go bad i want one of yall to swing into marble falls and drink a cold one with me as we sort it out. but you dont think the mech pump is an issue. $ is tight right now and i havent felt like shelling out $100 for one new all because a few drips. anyways thanks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hay i will swing bye my next trip to marble falls week after next and if u want u can head my way and help wrench and help me get rid of some beer this weekend
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sound real tempting steve, but let me run it by my hard ass 1st line supivisor. my wife that is. what day? i dont work fri-sun. whats bringing you back this way though? boulder creek or other buisiness?

hunter

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well boulder creek week after next this sat my place wrenchin the wife is more then welcome to come and play

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a plan stan. PM me the time and your address, oh and anything you might need (tools, food, beer, etc.) I might even haul my CJ along. let me know.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i think it will be sat all day we are goin to prep it on fri.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

Sapper

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you taken a look at the fuel bowl? If you say it gets starved at uphill angle, I would DEFINITELY start there. A carb rebuild wouldn't hurt either and those kits are easy to pick up or order on line. As for the fuel pump, if its leaking, its probably failing to provide enough fuel pressue, which can cause problems as well - not to mention a fire hazzard. Take a look here - http://www.earlycj5.com/ for info on your engine.

Lastly, nice 110v outlet over there on the drivers side - what the hell is that for?
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast