Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weber 34 help !!! Jets/FPR ???

I installed a brand new weber 34/34, I have tuned it up to the best of my abilities due to some awesome posts I found. Here's the issue,,,I got it running perfect in my garage and even did it again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, following the instructions. I took it for a test run down to the river and had to get some mud on it, drove off road most of my 30 min test, even climbed some hardball steep hills with suprising results it was awesome. It was running unbelievable, it ran with no hesitations and incredible power. Seemed I had it dead on. I went to gas station, shut the jeep off came back out and started it with a little push on the pedal (didn't really like that) I took it down the highway for 3-4 min to my exit, still seemed ok . I reached my first stop light and the idle dropped from 1000 to about 500, almost wanting to kill, had to help it out with a little throttle, as the light turned green, and I was into the throttle it was good but when stopped or no pedal coasting down the hill it wanted to kill...I have read over and over that the jets need to be changed and a fuel pressure regulator is needed in some cases. Im getting the FPR today and see if thats it, if not then Ill put diff jets in it. I also will change the plugs and cap or whatever. I'm pretty sure i have it hooked up correctly, it kinda blew my mind how much diff the Weber is so any ideas on that too might help. I'd guess im on the right track but any suggestions or ideas would be awesome...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about"

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weber says no more than 3.5 Psi fuel pressure. ALL Webers need regulators (not just some). A tip here, when you get a regulator, make sure it's a Holley low pressure regulator. I've been through several and the Holley is the only one worth spending money on. If you see a "Mr. Gasket" regulator, run like HELL in the other direction. Those things don't even make good fishing weights!
    This is the one you want:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Last edited by CJ Chet; 03-06-2009 at 23:19.
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill definately get on that.. I have heard that is the one you want. I appreciate the help.. Ill order that one and install it, Ill get back to you when its all done and let you know how it worked out..

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
    Weber says no more than 3.5 Psi fuel pressure. ALL Webers need regulators (not just some). A tip here, when you get a regulator, make sure it's a Holley low pressure regulator. I've been through several and the Holley is the only one worth spending money on. If you see a "Mr. Gasket" regulator, run like HELL in the other direction. Those things don't even make good fishing weights!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does that sound like thats probably my issue ????

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Chet, I got the regulator and its all hooked up. It seems like i got it pretty dead on. But this is my first carb in my life so who knows. My next question if you can help is how do I know if I need diff jets ?? I have read alot about changing jets. I guess what signs would i be looking for??? and #2 My engine is running pretty good but it kinda pops when at an idle... not the carb i dont think, it sounds internal like popping out the muffler. any ideas ???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if it were a jet issue the problem would show throughout the RPM's or starve for fuel at higher RPM, not run good then idle down like you described, almost sounds like the distributor cap got wet?

Idling like you mentioned seems to me maybe a losing vacuum?
    I am not sure hopefully some carb guruís can chime in.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help you with the jets, I'm still trying to figure those things out myself!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha thanx ill keep digging and get back to you when i get the answer and figure it all out !!!!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a baseline tuning procedure that can help out with your throttle response, followed by a smoother idling engine.

If its an auto have a freind sit in the vehicle while in drive and holding the brake as it will be tuned under load. This best simulates driving conditions for Mixture screw tuning.

Anyhow,

Warm the motor up so the electric choke is not in the closed position while tuning as you will end up with a great running motor until you try to crank it again...

1. while the motor idles (in gear and brake depressed for automatics) screw one of the mixture screws in until you have a stumbling rough idle that almost kills the engine.

2. back out the screw 1/4 turn to ensure that it doesnt quite die, and runs a little smoother, though still very rough.

3. move to the next mixture screw. tighten the screw until it almost dies and again back out 1/4 turn.

4. move back to the first screw and back out 1/4 turn at a time either hooking up a vacuum guage to a vacuum line and adjusting for highest vacuum pressure, or listinging for the highest RPM you can achieve.

5. go back to the other mixture screw and repeat step 4.

6. fine tune by repeating the adjustments between the two one or two more times. once you have achieved your highest idle RPM, adjust your idle screw to idle betwwen 500 and 800 RPM.

If you have stumbling problems of the line, recheck your mixture screws. you may be able to adjust your power circuit valve but I am a holley/edelbrock guy. I am not extrememly familiar with the insides of a weber

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, on the quadratec website there is a disclaimer specifying that a regulator may improve performance of your weber carb.