Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need some mod advice....

I havent seen anything on the net that looks like what im lookin for so if anyone has please chime in...

Ok heres what im tryin to do... Essentially create a windjammer style side and possibly rear window for my 2dr... Either utilizing a set of windows from a soft top that need new plastic or something and getting the kind of mesh they use or something similiar for windjammers and sewing it in place of where the windows would be as to block strong gusts of wind from hittin my little one in the back and protect her from debris but allowing a slight cool breeze and fresh air when the weather is nice... Or...Something similiar to this http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/video...2&Video_ID=228 for the sides.. So basically mesh that i could strap on and go with covering as much of the sides with or without the soft top.. Id even go as far as to cut it so it covers the top and sides like a "T" configuration.. Anyone got any input on this or can recommend a fabric/material for this project?
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar idea but instead of net, replace the whole window with a hunk of aluminum and drill some 1 or 2" hole in it for a breeze to blow through or if you have access to a louvre machine that would be even better.

You could make the whole window or aluminum replacement detachable with 4 or 6 latches on the inside. By doing this you could have another set with no holes built for bad weather.

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yea this is for the JK
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of ideas... Quadratec use to sell a mesh window replacement for rear soft top windows for tj's... don't now if they make them yet for JK's. Also see if you can find the heavy mesh fabric at a like Hobby Lobby or Micheals and see if the local "outside the gate" sow shop could make you something if you came up with the measurements. Or mabye local boat shops might have something you can modify...
    Just some thoughts.
    What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by recon4christ View Post
    A couple of ideas... Quadratec use to sell a mesh window replacement for rear soft top windows for tj's... don't now if they make them yet for JK's. Also see if you can find the heavy mesh fabric at a like Hobby Lobby or Micheals and see if the local "outside the gate" sow shop could make you something if you came up with the measurements. Or mabye local boat shops might have something you can modify...
    Just some thoughts.

sweet thanks... i was tryin to think of what kind of shops might sell that kind of material.. i would think maybe an industrial farm type place maybe lowes even.. simplest idea would be to creat some sort of slot/ grommet and run elastic rope or a small velcro strap through and stretch similiar to that top i posted about plus that would make storing em simple enough...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way its set up right here would probably be good but i dont wanna spend 60$ per side plus it seems most places are out

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with recon4christ about checking boat/covering shop. Also check out any local canopy mfg. as this is just sun screening material. I bought some from a local plant nursery 8 yrs ago but they no longer carry it. If you can't find it let me know - I'll check with a local sewing shop that made me a custom soft top for my 69 Scout many years ago.
    Try these guys: McMaster Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#mesh-cloth/=xzwbj ). Not the cheapest but they do have a lot of stuff.

They carry a plastic mesh cloth but it is not in black.

Wire Cloth, Mesh, and Perforated Sheets
    40 products match your selections

Material TypePlasticFormWoven Thermoplastic MeshMesh Size RangeFine Mesh

They also carry a knitted mesh which is black.

Wire Cloth, Mesh, and Perforated Sheets
    8 products match your selections

Material TypePlasticPlastic TypePolypropyleneFormKnitted MeshShapeSheetsSheet Width121"ColorBlack
    Old enough to know better, too young to quit!

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check a landscape supply company (i.e. Griffin Wholesale) You should be able to find a nursery style truck tarp fairly cheap and modify it to your needs. Along with that idea if you have a truck stop nearby they might have the mesh tarps available or you might be able to post a wanted ad on the bulletin board inside for a used section of tarp since they do rip.
    A simple misunderstanding gets a lot less simple when you add choppers and a SWAT team.