Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Preps for installing a lift - 2000 XJ

I'm getting ready to lift my completely stock 2000 XJ. Can some of you experienced XJ'ers have a quick look over my set up and let me know if I'm headed for any trouble (other than self inflicted)? If you can answer any or all it would be much appreciated.

I just ordered Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Ride w/ Leaf Springs (RE6025). I plan on doing a TC drop until I can get a SYE so I also ordered Skyjacker TC Lowering Kit. I'm also adding Edelbrock Performer IAS Series Shocks since I got them for a great price. The plan is 31X10.5's on 15x8 w/ 4" BS for no rubs or trimming.

I've read the RE6025 can result in a higher lift than 3.5. Is this true? I'm having a hard time trying to calculate the angles my drive shaft will be after the lift is installed if that's the case. Would/Should I install shims when I'm changing the springs out? If so what degree? Wasn't sure if would make sense to do it then since everything was already out or not.

Also my Edelbrock Performer IAS Series Shocks say "for 3" lifted applications". If I'm running 3.5 or better these will still be fine right?

Last questions regarding break lines and bolts. Can I just reposition the break lines or should I extend them? I read the front can be repositioned, but the back needs an extension.

Bolts - I hear a lot can break. Where is the best place to get replacements? Dealerships or hardware stores? Should I buy any bolts that are notorious for braking a head of time?

I may be nuking this, but I've been up and down the threads and have tried not to ask the exact same questions that have been asked before. Thanks for your advice!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know much about the xj but i'm going to guess your shocks will be fine on the road but if you get out on the trail and start flexing you might run into some problems this goes for your brake lines as well you should extend those for sure
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start spraying down all of the suspension nuts and bolts you'll be removing now with PB-Blaster, Break-Free, or Liquid Wrench or you'll have a heck of a time getting them apart when the day comes to actually start the job. Several applications over several days starting now. No, WD-40 is not a suitable substitute for any of those. Also, don't overtighten the new leaf spring nuts and bolts as doing so will unnecessarily stiffen the ride and reduce flex. Instead, just snug them down and use lock nuts over the top of the nuts to keep them from loosening.
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Like Jerry said in the post above.....PB Blaster is your friend. Soak them well over the course of several days at least.
    I would have to agree with Tex on the shocks and brake lines. The shocks for a 3" lift will limit your travel on a 3.5". More than likely you will have to put on longer brake lines. You may be able to get by with the stocks, but do you really want to find out the hard way. The last thing you want is to be out on the trail and snap 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every... and I mean every XJ that i've helped install a lift on has had the same problem.
    Plan on your rear upper shock bolts breaking off. Start soaking with pb blaster a few weeks in advance and spray them every other day until you plan to do the lift.
    You'll have 2 options when they break.... attempt to drill them out, or make new holes.
    Good luck.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PB Blaster is your freind! I buy it by the gallon can!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaymartin View Post
    I'm getting ready to lift my completely stock 2000 XJ. Can some of you experienced XJ'ers have a quick look over my set up and let me know if I'm headed for any trouble (other than self inflicted)? If you can answer any or all it would be much appreciated.
    Like everyone before me says preperation is the differance between a &*^% install or an easier one.

I just ordered Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Ride w/ Leaf Springs (RE6025). I plan on doing a TC drop until I can get a SYE so I also ordered Skyjacker TC Lowering Kit. I'm also adding Edelbrock Performer IAS Series Shocks since I got them for a great price. The plan is 31X10.5's on 15x8 w/ 4" BS for no rubs or trimming.
    cool but certainly get a sye; you get 2 TC drops?

I've read the RE6025 can result in a higher lift than 3.5. Is this true? I'm having a hard time trying to calculate the angles my drive shaft will be after the lift is installed if that's the case. Would/Should I install shims when I'm changing the springs out? If so what degree? Wasn't sure if would make sense to do it then since everything was already out or not.

Also my Edelbrock Performer IAS Series Shocks say "for 3" lifted applications". If I'm running 3.5 or better these will still be fine right?
    I used 4" lift shocks on 3"'s of lift no problems ON A TJ

Last questions regarding break lines and bolts. Can I just reposition the break lines or should I extend them? I read the front can be repositioned, but the back needs an extension.

Bolts - I hear a lot can break. Where is the best place to get replacements? Dealerships or hardware stores? Should I buy any bolts that are notorious for braking a head of time?
    NAPA sells grade 5 and 8; Lowes sells them also take old ones with you to measure and match up.

[quoye]I may be nuking this, but I've been up and down the threads and have tried not to ask the exact same questions that have been asked before. Thanks for your advice![/quote]
    Keep looking most of the time someone has done it or something close to it.

Good Luck Bro!
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you remove the front leaf spring bolts, be careful. Do NOT use an impact on them. You may break them off. Then you'll have to take out the back seat, and cut a hole in the floor, to fish out the broken nut. Soak it with PB blaster (as stated before) then go at it with a long ass breaker bar. Use a breaker bar and a long piece of tube if you have to. Take your time with it.

With the RE kits, you will get a little higher than advertised. I was running 3.5 in springs in the rear of my xj, and it was sitting at about 4.5.

Go to the stealership, and order a rear brake line for a YJ. They are exactly the same as an XJ, but they are about 3 inches longer. For the front, you may want to get new lines. You'll probably want to get a little longer shock as well.

Just take your time, and read the instructions first. If you run into any issues, post them up. We can get them answered for you.

Don't forget to post up pictures of the build.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.