Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reverse/rock lights...

So today I wired two little white lights from wally world ($15) in anticipation to go with flush lights. I hooked them up to a switch and the reverse lights so that they come on with either. The problem is that when I flip the switch on, the tail light reverse lights come on too. The only thing I can think is that its because I merged the two wires(from the switch and the tail lights) together before connecting to the light. I've attached pics. The zip ties will go tomorrow when I go to the shop. I will tack weld the light brackets to the bumper itself. I guess it doesn't matter cause when I go to flush lights, they will be the only white lights back there, but I figure I'd ask.

After posting, I realize that these are crappy pics. I will take more tomorrow when its not raining and the sun is out. Sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sweet idea. Bumper looks pretty nice also.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At $15 a pair, I'm going to get one set per pay period and set them up how we were talking about. They're badass inside. Still looking for a good map light. I have some ideas, but will wait till the 15th to act.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can think is that its because I merged the two wires(from the switch and the tail lights) together before connecting to the light.

thats is exactly why they come on with the new lights
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be nice when I take the stock ones out and put flush ones in.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know there are some winch solenoids that will close one switch while opening another. Might be something similar in a toggle switch. One with dual power inlet and one power outlet? You would then have "reverse hot" coming in on one circuit, and "ignition hot" or "battery hot" coming in on the other one. You could keep the "reverse hot" on during normal driving and switch to the other one when wheeling and needing a rear light source. Maybe dig around on Mcmaster Carr looking at toggle switches...?
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good idea. Lemme look at autozone tomorrow. I think I found what I'm going to use for personal lights (i.e map lights). The dome lights suck in my opinion, so something better is going to have to do. Off topic. Anywho, I will look into the toggle switch. Funny thing is, I actually understood what you said despite being electrically retarded.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran mine with a toggle switch and direct to the battery and then grounded it so I can turn them on and off when I want to, or for that person that likes riding my a$$ when I driving down the road. and they are just some slim style fog lights that I bought from autozone. they wok pretty good and they are bright to.
    04 tj, 2" rusty lift, lod rear tire swing and bumper custom front bumper w/ aircraft landing lights and 32" cooper discovery stt

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Korisu,

For a trick way to run the lights, get with Pacifier and Elevator guy. They run the rear accessory lights with an on / off / on switch. this allows the accessory lights to be on / off / come on when shifted into reverse. Im going to wire my lights this way and picked up a really classy carling tech rocker switch. They are the same style that ARB uses, labled 'backup lights' and lit. Get it from Over The River and Through The Woods here:

http://www.otrattw.com/S2.htm

the switch is the part # V6D1D66B-AYC77-18B - SPDT, ON/OFF/ON Switch w/rocker- $10.50

I got the driving light and the backup light rockers from them.

The switches are industrial quality, inexpensive, and the owner is really cool......
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Alex. I really appreciate, once again, the depth in which you respond. I think that I'm going to hold off, because once I get the flush lights in, it won't matter. The will come on when I hit the switch and when I go in reverse. Since they will be the only white lights on the back, win-win for this guy. I will, however, look into replacing all of my switches with those, if it doesn't require too much fabrication from my old switches. Due to the setup of the plastic piece that is under the footman loop, it may be too late. However, I may use carling tech switches for the panel I will be making. The three switches up top will be for interior lights. Definitely something we'll have to go over while at a M&G sometime.