Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No more leaky leaky

My CJ was beginning to think it was a Chinook - going around leaking everywhere. The RMS was blown and I was putting off doing anything about it until this past weekend. Additionally I was getting pretty low oil pressure, so it was time for a new oil pump as well.
    Well, 26 hours later, the RTV has cured, the new pump is in, and I fired it up. Amazing I currently don't have any leaks and my oil pressure was up around 50 psi cold, dropped to 40 after a few mins, then right down to 10-11 psi once fully warm at 650 rpms. When I blip the throttle, it shoots up to 40 psi and holds until the rpms go back down - PERFECT me thinks.

I found a great write up on replacing the Rear Main seal on the 258, so if anyone wants it - here it is by Paul Regish - http://www.neow.org/rms1.html

The pump is a piece of cake- 2 bolts, a new screen, prime it and it's done.
    I used a more expensive rubber gasket for the oil pan PLUS ultra grey RTV, so I think its sealed pretty well. I've read to use the RTV and not to use it when using a rubber gasket, but I figured there is no way a little xtra silicone is going to make it seal any worse. Oil pan bolts were torqued to 10 ft/lbs and so far, nothing is leaking. I'll keep my fingers crossed on my drive in tomorrow.

If I can get organized, I'll do a write up for the tech section.
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Back to 1 Jeep... for now rroadkilll's Avatar

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something good came from Paul???

WOW!!! I'll have to pass it on to him!!!

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rroadkilll View Post
    Something good came from Paul???

WOW!!! I'll have to pass it on to him!!!

LOL - ask him why one of the steps calls for loosening the other bearing caps when all the intent of the article is to replace just the rear!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I spoke too soon - big 6 inch oil puddle beneath the jeep this morning!!!

Looks like I'll be tearing into the Rear main seal again tonight although I have a feeling I know what it is. Since I was following instructions and not using my brain, I did not remove a rubber seal that sits in a groove on the outside, or underside, of the bearing cap. I then used a one-piece rubber gasket to seal up the oil pan so I have essentially two gaskets sitting on top of one another. I'm a moron, and tonight I'll be a greasy, dirty, oily moron.
    GarryOwen!