1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unlimited cargo system

This is one of my favorite mods, so Im reposting it here. Ever since I bought my Unlimited, I have enjoyed the extra cargo room, but wished that I had the ability to lock up expensive gear for short periods while on trailrides, especially during the Summer while running with the top down or side windows off.

I saw the Tuffy Unlimited security drawer about two years ago at at the NOVA Jeepers show and shine. I thought about it for awhile and came up with a complete Unlimited cargo management system. Valuable items such as tools, recovery gear, cameras, pistol, etc can go in the drawer, and bulky items like the cooler, canvas chairs, tent, sleeping bags, etc can be tied down on top.

I started with the Tuffy drawer, and installed it in the lowest position to create a flat shelf that cargo could be stacked on top.

Next, a friend and I prepped the paint on top and he rolled Hurculiner on it. This will keep the cargo from scratching up the paint on top of the drawer and provide a nonskid surface.

Finally I purchased a set of adjustable tie down rails from Coretrax. The rail itself will provide a small curb to help prevent cargo from sliding off the drawer if the seat is folded forward or removed. The adjustable tiedowns will make it easy to prevent the cooler and various objects from falling out of the Jeep or flying around beaning me in the head during a quick stop. Here are the results:

I left the pics big so that details could be seen.

I got the Core Trax system from www.cargogear.com Details are here:
    www.cargogear.com/Straps_and_Tiedowns/Anchor_Points.htm
    Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 03-06-2008 at 21:01.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I see this I want one! Excellent attention to detail!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks really good. You do good work.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

The peace of mind to be able to leave some valuable things in the Jeep is worth the cost of the thing. We have had several stops during club runs where all the Jeeps were left in parking lots full of gear with the tops off or down. I usually decided to wait with the Jeep, or drag junk inside with me.

The tiedowns almost doubble the useable cargo space. And no more spitting canvas chairs outta the back of the Jeep at Diego on the highway! I have also added a fire extinguisher w/ metal mount on the passenger side mounting bracket since those pix were taken.
    Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 03-08-2008 at 15:01.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    That looks really good. You do good work.
    Alot was done at tool party at Pacifier's place. The idea was mine but final results are due to the help from Elevatorguy, who rolled the liner, and 02TJ/Pacifier who helped with the tiedown install.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice job! I like the extra cargo room of the unlimited, but could never give up my CJ.
    I am thinking of fabbing a drawer type enclosure like that, making it the fullsize of the bed area, and then mounting the rear seat on top of it. I'll need to see if it's feasible to raise the rear seat the 4-6" it would take.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also have the powertank correct?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Very nice job! I like the extra cargo room of the unlimited, but could never give up my CJ.
    I am thinking of fabbing a drawer type enclosure like that, making it the fullsize of the bed area, and then mounting the rear seat on top of it. I'll need to see if it's feasible to raise the rear seat the 4-6" it would take.
    Ya know Tuffy make just what you are talking about.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hummm, does Tuffy make one for a 2 dr JK? Anyone know?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Tuffy makes the exact drawer you want. Its here:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-181-1...at-drawer.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast