Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default pumpkin leak

crawled under the Jeep to change oil only to find that my front diff was leaking pretty damn good and then I looked out back and saw the exact same thing on that diff. Upon closer investigation it almost looks like the seal coming out of the diff not the gasket on the diff itself. Not sure. I know the rear main seal on YJs were notorius fro always leaking, but I wasnt aware of something like this on the TJ.

Does anyone know if its pretty common to have the diff leak or the seal coming out the back of the diff towards the t-case? I should mention that it does have almost 92,000 miles and has never had any maintenance underneath done.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Oh yeah, what the hell is it with an American made Jeep having all that damn metric garbage on it!?!
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what you describe, it sounds like your pinion seals are going bad. It is not all that common on TJ's but it does happen from time to time. How bad is the leak? What are your diff fluid levels at now?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concur with Andy02 on it being the Pinion Seal leaking. My front seal is currently leaking and will be replaced this weekend. My 99 TJ goes through this from time to time. In the interim you need to check you diff fluid levels to ensure they are not low.
    You can replace the pinion seal yourself. There are a number of write-ups on it; let me know if you cannot find one.

Cheers!

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure on the levels to be honest. Theres no noticable fluid on the ground underneath but there is certainly fresh oil on the bottom of the diff and it looks like it has been leaking for awhile. I bought the thing used so not sure on how long it has been leaking. Would you say the same thing is going on out back?
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinion seals.
    Real Jeeps are built, not bought
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"
    '80 CJ7 - gone but not forgotten

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Thanks everyone. Time to do some research.
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh man...wonder if that's the same thing going on with mine. I ordered new diff covers and I'm getting ready to make the change once I can find the time and the nice weather for it. but, it sounds like the same symptoms I'm experiencing. ruh-roh!
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinion seal is easy to change. Basically all you do is remove or disconnect the D-shaft. remove the yoke from the pinion. Remove old pinion seal. Read instructions backwards to install. If your diff fluid level is okay, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Open the fill plug, the diff fluid should be at the bottom of the hole.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MEH, I think leaking pinion and rear main engine seals are factory installed options on Jeep vehicles.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907