Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JK, and JK Rubicon Owners

Has the nasty problem of the front d44 breaking been solved??

one of the vendors i use for GC stuff has a JK Rubi d44 swap option for the front and it looks like my best option

thoughts and opinions and what are great.
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what problem?
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Axle had a nasty habit of breaking in two at the LCA mount, not the shaft but the tube itself
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know over on rubiconownersforum the consensus was to truss the front axle of the JK rubi's. Not sure if the problem has been solved or not.
    What year JK D44 is it?
    Not sure what he's asking, but rubi 44 fronts seem to be going for about $1100. For that price you could get a decent waggy 44 and not worry about the problem.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want to say its around 32-3600 but thats complete WMS to WMS with brackets and everything already on there for the WJ and solves alot of the weak points we have, shock mounts, LCA mounts being thin and poorly placed. w/410 and e locker control mechanism to mount in the cab.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-WJKFA

its under WJ and the JK front Axle swap if the link dosent load right.
    -Jeb

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muddyluxury View Post
    Has the nasty problem of the front d44 breaking been solved??

one of the vendors i use for GC stuff has a JK Rubi d44 swap option for the front and it looks like my best option

thoughts and opinions and what are great.
    The axle tube and inner knuckle problem you are talking about has not been addressed in a recall. Every month in the 4x4 mags are articles about welding trusses to strengthen them.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1995

Closest Installation

Fort Wayne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow! i have just the plain jane x model which does not have the 44 but man i have beat the crap out of it and had no problems with it. is it only the rubi's?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The factory welded the brackets on too hot for a few hundred vehicles. Approx. 3 days worth of production. Dana and DC know about it. It will be addressed shortly. It is in the 08s mostly. I would go about life as though it were normal. Trusses help, but will not solve the problem, not with where they have been breaking and where a truss would have to be properly located.

On the other hand, I would build a waggy 44 and take advantage of the ability to run flat top knucles and all. JK 44 axles are still not what a 44 can/should be.
    98 TJ, 4.5" RE springs, Custom stretched triangulated 4-link, Clayton Trans and Engine Skids, Hp60s, 5.38s, ARB front, Detroit rear, 37" BFG Krawler Red Label, H2 wheels, InnerAirLocks, and much more.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost went that route. but the ease of install the plug and play options, and keeping ABS is a big deal. everything is controlled through my ABS tone rings. plus the width is just abour right, the bolt pattern stays the same. and lots of the parts i already have will cross over. its me being lazy and buying my way into an upgrade rather than building it, oh yea I can do the axle swap and alignment in like 2-3 days durring my leave and get some wheeling in, thats the other reason.
    -Jeb

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Takes two days?! Eff that, 6 hours tops. Not like you have any rusty bolts that are going to be stubborn!! HaHa

I agree with you, and this is what happens when vehicles go with all of these fancy electronics and such. ABS can be over ridden along with all of that tone crap. We just put a set of shaved/narrowed 60s in a JK, and it was easy. Just some in line resistors and such, and of course chopping the wires. It was good to go.
    98 TJ, 4.5" RE springs, Custom stretched triangulated 4-link, Clayton Trans and Engine Skids, Hp60s, 5.38s, ARB front, Detroit rear, 37" BFG Krawler Red Label, H2 wheels, InnerAirLocks, and much more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast