User Tag List

Thread: Battery Problem or Not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Battery Problem or Not

Sorry I have been away so long. Work (where I normally read at) has been really busy the past month. Hopefully it will slow down now that all upgrades are done.

My jeep is having a problem that I think is the battery but not sure. First of all it has been REALLY cold here in Burgettstown, PA. Not as cold as Alaska but cold here. My jeep would not start last night when my wife got off work so she jumped it off. She said that they had to leave the battery connected to another car for about 5 minutes before it would start. When she got home the jeep shut it self off and would not start again. Lucky for her she was in the drive way at the time.

This morning I again had to jump the jeep off to get it started and again it was at least 5 minutes before it would turn over. I let it sit and charge for about 10 minutes and then shut the Jeep off. I turned the key and nothing. No lights, no radio, nothing. Then out of no where it started on its own. I drove the jeep up the road and back to kinda put a charge on it. I shut the jeep off again and try to start. Nothing again and it will not to this point. I checked the battery with a volt meter and it is putting out 12 volts.

I am not sure what is going on here. Any help would be appreciated.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be the same thing as yours josh with the selenoid?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i were a betting man i'd say it is a ground follow the ground from the battery and see where it is conected and if it is tight should go to the block. if that is good you can check the selenoid with two screw drivers, if you don't know how watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehou7fDAAVk
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I took the battery in to be tested and it test fine. Going to check the ground and starter seleniod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heep is working again. I took off 2 ground wires, cleaned them up and tighten them down again. This seem to work perfectly.

Thank you for the help.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I just had a similar problem with my YJ. I ended up replacing both POS and NEG wiring from the battery and cleaning off the contact points. It made a world of difference and only cost me around 15 dollars to do the wiring from scratch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I orginally looked at the grounds but didn't see anything. I guess it was in between and not really in plain view. It worked and now I am on the road again.