Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do Differentials wear out?

I am running Detroit Tru-Trac's in both axles, D30/D35, and am starting to get a whine from one of them. The front has abour 200,000 miles on it and the rear has about 100,000. Do they wear out?

I have not changed the gear lube in awhile, could that be the problem?

All thoughts on this are appreciated.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, I had a 97 chevy 1500 running 35x14.50 TSL's and it started to howl and one day CLANG rear diff quit, got home by removing rear drive shaft and engageing 4x4 LOL. Maine shattered the ring and carrier so it cost more to fix.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they wear out, run it hard till it breaks and upgrade. Changing your oil now won't do you any, good stuff wears out.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are a gear driven unit so I doubt that they are worn to that point in 200k but my full detroit had the same sort of milage and it imploded. You may consider removing it disassemble it and see if there is any ovious signs of damage.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1988 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinion Bearings and carrier bearings/remove and replace
    "An army of asses lead by a lion is far better than an army of lions lead by an ass."

'98 ZJ, 4.0L, NP242, 4.5" RE Coils, JKS Control Arms, JKS Adj.Tracbars, RE Monotube Shocks w BPE's, JKS Quicker Discoz, S/S Braid'd brake lines, Doug Thorley Header, T/B Spacer, K&N Drop-in,2.5" Pipes & High Flow Cat, Dynomax Welded Muffler, 32x11.50 BFG MT KM2's on 15x8 Blk Rock Steelies and various Mfgs decals for added H/P.........

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all that replied.

I do not do diff work myself, but take it to a ring and pinon shop. I had them install the Detroits originally. Will have to make an appointment.

Next question, I am running 355 gears, does the ring and pinon gears need to be changed to go to 373's or just the Detroits?

Bigskyxj, what do you mean by upgrade?
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Thanks to all that replied.

I do not do diff work myself, but take it to a ring and pinon shop. I had them install the Detroits originally. Will have to make an appointment.

Next question, I am running 355 gears, does the ring and pinon gears need to be changed to go to 373's or just the Detroits?

Bigskyxj, what do you mean by upgrade?
    ring and pinion reffer to the gears ratio 3:55 or 3:73 as mentioned above, your locker or carrier may limit you on the size ring gear you can run. If needed you can purchase a carrier for higher (number) gears. I bought an ARB locker which serves as a carrier some like Aussie lockers do not replace the carrier.
    Currious why you would go to only 3:73? If you are runnng 33-35 inch tires I might go 4:88's since you are considering work anyway- that would be an up grade. If you change the ratio you have to do both axles gear sets or things will SNAP.

Your axle shop will tell tell you for sure.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost00TJ View Post
    Currious why you would go to only 3:73? If you are runnng 33-35 inch tires I might go 4:88's since you are considering work anyway- that would be an up grade. If you change the ratio you have to do both axles gear sets or things will SNAP.

Your axle shop will tell tell you for sure.
    I do not know where you got the idea that I was going to run large tires, but I am not. I have a WJ that is my daily driver. I sometimes tow a trailer and just want a little more umph on the take off. I had a XJ that had 3:73's and it was quicker on the take off and that is all that I am looking for. I am not a hard wheeler so no big tires for me.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade means loose the D35 rear
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    I do not know where you got the idea that I was going to run large tires, but I am not. I have a WJ that is my daily driver. I sometimes tow a trailer and just want a little more umph on the take off. I had a XJ that had 3:73's and it was quicker on the take off and that is all that I am looking for. I am not a hard wheeler so no big tires for me.
    Sorry my mind is stuck on climbing rocks lol,
    that would improve things for you, but again I would see what your axle guy has to say, he can run a formula that will account for transmission gearing, ring&pinion gears, tires, some other things and get you better info for your choices for what you want to do.

I know your original question was do they wear out and this is migrated into a more indepth talk but there is another thread on MJ talking some of the points that are on here the basics apply. http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ead.php?t=6690
    Last edited by Ghost00TJ; 04-01-2009 at 12:10. Reason: more info
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast