Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Those of you with Mickey Thompson Classic II's

How do you keep 'em looking nice? I heard there's a serious problem with "pitting." For as much as I spent on 'em, I'd hate for them to be ruined past the point of no return! and yes, I'm an anal clean freak! there's a time to get dirty, but besides that I like my sh*t to be clean!
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is some powerball attachemnt for a drill. I think Jeff (USMCHarleyGuy) might know the actual name or have one.

Or you could just go old school and Brasso them
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyeti1775 View Post
    Or you could just go old school and Brasso them
    I don't think I will ever touch that stuff again in my life! Powerball is an option - thanks! I was considering waxing them...I saw it in a lowrider magazine and it made perfect sense.

I did purchase zoopseal...but when I applied it to one of the wheels I was a little skeptical...and it looks like it left minor scratches on the surface. so.....
    Last edited by ezjeep; 04-01-2009 at 11:52.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best solution is to remove the tires, clean and polish the wheel, and then take them to a automotive body/paint shop.

Have them clear coat the wheel then reinstall the tires. The clear coat keeps them from oxidizing/pitting and makes cleanup a snap.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh...sounds 'spensive...very good idea tho, thanks! I might just have to get a price quote!

I was wondering about a powder coat style finish...like the way the factory wheels came. The only problem is I'd lose the shine factor!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also seen them rattle canned black or dark silver to good effect.

Just clean and prep them well and take your time painting with both the primer and the final coats.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ezjeep View Post
    Huh...sounds 'spensive...very good idea tho, thanks! I might just have to get a price quote!

I was wondering about a powder coat style finish...like the way the factory wheels came. The only problem is I'd lose the shine factor!
    We've done the rattle can as well to rims before.

If you want them powder coated, go over on Virginia Krawlers in my sig and talk to highyj. Does pretty good work, and he's a local up here in Winchester. There are a few threads of his work on there as well.

But again rattle can is your cheapest option.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the biggest problem with folks messing up there wheels. The MT's are not cleared (IMHO this is a good thing) They are easily re-polished. Use mother's mag / aluminum wheel polish and a power ball or by hand. The cleared wheels need to be waxed, as they are painted! Idiots use chrome cleaner and mag polish on them and it destroys them. It's like taking sand paper to your paint. The chromed wheels need chrome polish. The biggest thing is to know the finish that is on your wheel.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have an S-10 with alloy wheels. I kept them clean and waxed. (turtle wax paste) Except from marks from having them balanced they looked new when I sold the truck. It was 8 years old and had 105k miles on. It spent most of its life outside and was driven all winter on the salty WV roads.
    <><
    '00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/UCF TT/OME Springs/33s
    Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewto...p?f=51&t=26137

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    That's the biggest problem with folks messing up there wheels. The MT's are not cleared (IMHO this is a good thing) They are easily re-polished. Use mother's mag / aluminum wheel polish and a power ball or by hand. The cleared wheels need to be waxed, as they are painted! Idiots use chrome cleaner and mag polish on them and it destroys them. It's like taking sand paper to your paint. The chromed wheels need chrome polish. The biggest thing is to know the finish that is on your wheel.
    x2...Mothers and a Powerball are the way to go.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast