Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Help regarding aftermaket softtops

Hey guys,
    Im trying to find a softtop for my new '08 Rubicon Unlimited so I can pry off the hardtop for spring/summer. I had a few questions/concerns I'm hoping someone can answer for me. Be advised that this is going to be the first "upgrade" I will be adding to my jeep and that at present I don't possess much "auto knowledge" at all.

My first question is which softtop companies would the community recommend? Also are there any that I should steer clear of?

I am currently eyeing up the Trektop by Bestop as a potential since I like the way it slants as opposed to the standard square style and since its not going to run me 1000$.

My second question/concern then is that I noticed within the install instructions (found online) for this specific top that it requires that I add the included self-adhesive hook to the sides of the jeep (which im guessing is much like the factory hook that I had on my '02 softtop). Will this "hook" interfere with my hardtop once installed? My goal here is to find a softtop which I can put on during the spring/summer with little work, and then replace in the fall/winter with my stock 3 piece hardtop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For brand I would say Bestop, I beleive they make/supply Mopar's factory tops.

Stay away from the Trektop, at least that's what a club member says. I saw it the other day. There are a bunch of gaps for rain to enter. The side windows DO NOT come out, which I don't like. It just looks like a giant PIA.

Just get a bikini, windjammer, dust cover and trail cover-call it a day.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besttop would be my first choice unless the price was outrageously low for something else.

Or just pull all the carpet rhino the interior and go topless all Summer.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bestop trek top has horrible fitment issues. There's a very similar topic to this over on rubiconownersforum right now.
    There hasn't been one person impressed with the bestop trek top that has posted up.
    The viking fast back has had mixed reviews. It appears their earlier models had stitching/fitment issues; however, their later models appear to have been fixed. Their customer service has also been mentioned as top quality. No one's had issues getting replacements for tops that have had issues.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Besttop

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bestop and sell the hardtop. I sold my hardtop a month after I bought my new TJ in '04 and have only used the soft top since.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Softtops

Quote Originally Posted by 31C/Q4-Murphy View Post
    For brand I would say Bestop, I beleive they make/supply Mopar's factory tops.

Stay away from the Trektop, at least that's what a club member says. I saw it the other day. There are a bunch of gaps for rain to enter. The side windows DO NOT come out, which I don't like. It just looks like a giant PIA.

Just get a bikini, windjammer, dust cover and trail cover-call it a day.

In regards to the bikini top/windjammer/dust cover combo, With these three installed, will it keep thunderstorm quality rain out?
    My primary goal here is to have a top that i can "install" and leave on during the spring and summer which will keep the rain out when it rains (im in PA - we get rain all the damn time) and can easily take down or remove when its sunny. Since this vehicle is my primary drive as well Im going to have to be able drive to work in the rain, and thus i need a top that is going to keep rain out from all angles and be able to sit all day while im at work with the top on. Being that the jeep is an '08 and in very nice condition, though i plan to trail with it, i dont want it all beat up either. I also would rather not have to spend 10-15 minutes every time i exit the vehicle putting a trail cover on. If the above combo will do the trick then by and far i do like the look of it. just wondering how "valid" an option this is for someone in my position? If not can anyone give me a good idea of what i should look for? I noticed OEM softtops are around 1100 -1300$ and if possible id like to find a solution for under 750$

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not 100%. Best bet in that case, like BeeCee said, would be get a full soft top, and sell the hard top to offset the cost. I've never had a hard top, and won't.
    Not sure about the snow fall out there, just saw where you're located, but here in NJ it's not to bad. Snow just brushes off the top and use a squeegy (sp) for the sides and back. BTW works great for mud too.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the full top if you are worried about the weather at all.
    Trail covers are great to have around for quickly covering the Jeep.
    But if your trying to keep your interior nice and somewhat new, get the full top and never follow Chris on the trail.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. its definitely appreciated. To follow up, I want to keep the hard top to please the fiance. She doesnt like the idea of me taking kids around in the jeep with a soft top and since we're planning to have a few in the future and currently take care of her niece on occasion that means i might as well hold onto it for now. I noticed that viking doesn't offer a top for 07+ at this time, so it appears im S.O.L on that idea, which means my only true option at this point is to drop the $1300 on an oem top. All things considered, i'll probably just have to wait it out until i find one for cheaper on ebay or until viking releases an updated model for the JK.
    Thanks to all of you for the help however. I may bite the bullet and get the bikini top for those weekends when i can be certain theres no rain in site still. one last question regarding that is - about how long does it take to attach and remove the bikini top/dust cover/windjammer combo setup?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast