Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember, if it has not been mentioned already, a snorkel is great insurance, but not a free pass to be stupid.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    x2

Sometimes splashing around turns into U-boating. That's how I hydrolocked my engine the first time. I installed the snorkel so I could be a submarine, and since I didn't take other precautions, other parts of my jeep were knocked out.

At the end of the day, the amount of preparation really boils down to the purpose of getting one. Mine is there for insurance purposes only now. I bought, installed, and tested it. JeepinSoldier has a great story about how he doesn't intentionally try to go deep but his ass was saved by his snorkel. Give him a shout.
    After alot of research - I decided on the ARB for several reasons. Reputation as I have dealt with ARB USA before and they absolutely stand behind the product with exceptional customer service, relative ease of install retaining use of stock airbox, flexible replaceable parts, ability to turn the snorkle head around to help prevent damage on tight trails with low branches or when driving thru large volumes of water that splash up high, and the flow thru system that automatically seperates any water that does actually enter it, looks badazz.

Got mine after starting to drive thru deeper water than I was comfortable with. Installed it, and waterproofed other things on the Jeep. Shortly after installing mine, 3 total Jeeps in the Northern VA area hydrolocked thier engines in various places.

Then on a later wheeling trip this happened as cut and pasted from another thread on this forum..........

Originally Posted by miljeep
    Spent a whopping 2 minutes devising this master poem for another thread. But I figured I would post it here so you could enjoy it more easily.

River crossed many times
    by jeeps, stock and lifted
    but when river was crossed this time
    damn jeep and driver were gifted

in river jeep found a big hole
    good thing that ****er was locked
    because all that saw it know
    the engine of the jeep would have been ****ed

it tipped to the right a bit
    passenger window was almost half way down
    as water flowed in NAME thought "holy shit"
    and started to look around

he got the jeep out of danger,
    he never meant to go that deep
    thankfully he had a snorkel as insurance
    or they may have been towing home his jeep.

Nice Ryan!

Yes, the first part here was me.

Was wheeling on auto pilot as back then I had a second job to support the Jeep addiction and basically never slept. Good thing my trail driving is instinctive now.

Drove into the wrong crossing and the entire passenger side dropped into a hole. The Jeep got off camber and almost rolled over. Water was over half the hood, you could see it on the lower bottom of the passenger side windshield, and it started coming in thru the open passenger window onto my son.

I turned tward the high side and drove out of it. Good thing I had left my rear locker on, or the power would have gone to the side with no traction and rolled/sunk we would have went. The airbox is on the passenger side and the snorkle saved the engine as the box was underwater. Snorkles are not just for looks!

No pix as I was driving - but Chris was right behind me and saw it all.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had an ARB for my YJ sitting in the closet for about three years now and haven't installed it. Between being stationed overseas and now in NY I have had neither my YJ or the snorkel to install. Thankfully, my brother is bringing me both soon!!!

And, a buddy is selling me the one from his TJ for cheap and sending up here.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another happy owner of an ARB.
    Mine was already installed on the jeep when I purchased it, but installation looks pretty simple. Make sure you seal your air box. After I bought my jeep I didn't even think to check out the box until someone mentioned it. Sure enough, there were plenty of areas that needed to be sealed still.
    Even with the snorkel, I don't go looking for deep water to cross. It's nice back up though if something happens. I also pull the filter after every water crossing to ensure no water got sucked up.
    The only thing I don't like about the arb is the way it's plumbed. The plumbing goes down to a pretty low area on the jeep and out the side. Not much of a problem, but I do make sure to check the plumbing for cracks/holes and areas that may wear every time I get under it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12