Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Addon-ons/upgrades, and lingo needed

I can only imagine some of the things that will get posted here that are "over the top" but I can't help but ask and could really use the info.

Ok - so I recently purchased an '08 Rubi Unlimited. My primary purpose for the purchase was to have a vehicle that can have the top off in the summer (weather permitting) and can get me through the hellatious winters we sometimes get here in PA. However, owning a jeep prior to this one, I have always wanted a Rubi so i could get into trailing without having to do much additional work under the hood (ive never been a gearhead - dad is a doc and never really taught me anything vehicle related unfortunately...but i digress). Anyways, all that said, I now have this baby and want to get into doing some trails. Mind you that this jeep is setting me back nearly $500 a month for quite some time and thus id like to keep her pretty for a number of years yet, so i have no desire to roll her and bang her up too badly, though a few small knicks i can live with. That said, what sort of trails would i be safe running on "enjoyably"? by enjoyably i mean trails that im not going to be all to concerned about breaking mirrors, popping tires, or overall setting myself back another $300+ after im finished for the day? To add to that question - what sort of additional add-ons does my rubicon need to run these trails? Ive noticed many a jeep having a winch and bumpers with D rings. are these necessary add-ons for trailing or will my rubi's stock "upgrades" be enough? Also many of the pictures i see have the driver wearing a helmet is this required? The idea here is to get a firm grip on what additions i should start looking at (if any) so that i can start financially planning on this and getting on the trails asap. I look forward to being an active participant on here as well as in my local PAJeeps community, but being brand spanking new to "jeeping" i could use some serious help on starting out.
    Thanks!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my advice would be to do the opposite of whatever Korisu tells you! or...at least read his disclaimer before you attempt anything he recommends!
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Seymour Johnson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lived in that area for a while. My first vehicle was a stock Wrangler and I had a lot of fun with it. If you are running a stock jeep I reccommend staying away from deep water. This includes the susquehanna! Other than that, the trails around there are usually more like dirt roads with occasional washouts or steep inclines. A small body lift to allow larger tires would be a good upgrade in my opinion. If you aren't going to do any off-roading parks, you don't need the crazy flex for anything around there + its cheaper. A winch is great too unless you have friends with 4x4s that are always available! Also with the helmet thing, It is usually a rule instituted by parks for insurance purposes and is not required on your own.
    Last edited by spectac; 04-02-2009 at 12:21.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as you already know, I'm sure, your Rubi already has the axles, lockers, transfercase and tires to do more than most Jeeps. Since you already have those covered, I would recommend armor. Armor being those things that allow you to utilize your Rubi and hopefully come away without major damage. Then, look into recovery points. I'm not sure what your Rubi has factory but you need somewhere to hook a strap or winch cable or whatever in case you need a hand on the trail. Some offroad parks even require front and rear recovery points before you can ride. Back to armor though, although you have a factory transfercase that is certainly a piece to upgrade down the road. Also, there are skid plates that just about cover the entire underside of your JK. Personally, a very important part to protect, especially a JK and even moreso a 4 door, is your rocker panels. The factory "sliders" don't really cut it. There are several good brands and different designs out there from which you can choose. I have to head back to work, but later I can find some links for you. You can also google "JK rock sliders" and find most of them. Then create a favorite's list of all of them so you can look back through them and decide while figuring our pros and cons. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armor first.
    Armor can help make up for rookie driving.

I've seen stock 4dr JK Rubicons handle light blues with out much issue and some medium blue trails.
    Trail Levels (Easiest to Difficult): Green; Blue; Black; Red; Insanity Never Been Tried
    There is also a numbering system 1 - 10 with 10 being the hardest. I think the majority of stock Jeeps can handle up to 4 or 5 if I remember right.

Helmets - very few parks (least on East Coast) require them if your not running Red Trails.

Tires, Don't the Rubicons come with a Mud Terrain? If not if your Daily Driving it 90% of the time I would get some aggressive All-Terrains. I like both the BFG and the Pro-Comp All-Terrains. But I like their Mud Terrains even more

Other Simple Mods:
    A snorkel - The JK's air intake is lower than it has been on past Jeeps. I've seen several Hyrdolocks because of it. While thise will set you back up to $400-500, it is better to have it than have to replace an engine.

Bumpers and Winches -
    Winch - Quadratec is having sales on Winches these days. You can pick up a decent 8k one for a few hundred now. Look at the Masterpull contest that is going on now here. That will give you an idea for recovery gear.
    Bumper - You have MV Customs in your backyard up there. They are a Vendor here, ask them about Bumpers for a JK. Most of theirs are Winch Ready and have a stinger. They also make rear bumpers as well with tire carriers. This matters when you get to bigger sized tires and your tailgate begins buckling cause of the extra weight.

But really its about what you want.
    First should be recovery points. If I remember right the JK Rubicons have them stock.
    Than armor yourself.
    Than make your other mods as you build it.

If your never ever ever doing more than Greens/Fire Roads, you already have too much Jeep for it.
    And remember, only a fool doesn't ask the question. So ask away.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys. The biggest thing for me is finding out what would be considered "necessary" to run some greens and maybe some light blues this summer just to get my feet wet. My big purchase this year will be the soft-top (after much debate ive decided to purchase the ORH soft-top...many forum threads have stated its ok compared to the one long one that said the company is shady). That will almost tap out my yearly budget for jeep upgrades, but should fufill my major requirement of being able to drop top or reconfigure her however i want on the fly. Ill look into the armor next as that sounds like a good way to save me from more expensive problems down the road. as for bumpers and winches - i really dont have any friends i know that offroad so it would likely be a big help to get one of these down the road, but as stated i'll have to slate that project for next year. Hopefully by then i'll have found a few guys in the area and I can enact a wrenching party for such a thing if needed. I have taken a quick look at snorkels as i would eventually love to do some fording, but noticed that without the heat dissipation hood, that i'll need to cut my current hood/frame (depending on the model) to fit it. I am by no means a welder nor do i have welder friends so this would be a serious project for me to fufill currently. Lastly in regards to the herculiner, my only fear on that would be potentially screwing up the liner on install and thus perma-f**king my interior.
    Thanks guys for the input. ill have to take a look at some of your jeep setups when I see you guys at Rausch in the next few weeks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to reply with my 2 but Big Green said just about everything I was going to say. Your Rubi comes with everything that the rest of us spend good money to upgrade to. I highly recommend armor, especially for the charcoal canister. It kind of just hangs out there on the JKs. Happy trails.

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Would someone mind throwing me a few links to some good armor? From the looks of it this could get relatively pricey quick (but im not sure im eyeing up the right stuff). I have seen some older jeeps with metal around the rear corner panels (looks like the metal tread found on industrial floors) and saw that for cheap online. Im hoping this isnt what you mean by armor or if so, that there are other companies which dont use that "design".

glad to hear the rubi has the basics down. i knew it did to a point but wasnt sure how well jeep got things right in regards to quality "upgrades".

by the way, without armor will i be ok to run greens and light blues or would you recommend armor even when running these?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For milder trails you would have to worry about. 2-3 on a 5 scale. Get tow points front and rear. Get oil pan and t-case skid plates. Get a winch. Take it easy and don't be bashful about getting the cable out after 3 trys on an obstacle.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armor
    Engine Skid - this protects your Oil Pan, put a hole in that and you are going nowwhere - Average price about $200-250 new, you can find them used for cheaper, but often have to buy the bolts or brackets.
    Gas Tank Skid - protects the gas tank. I'm not sure how the stock one is on JK's
    Differental Armor - protects your diff. 2 schools of thought here 1. Full Cover replacement / 2. half guard. Most Green/Light Wheelers use only the half guards, the majority of folks that run High Blacks and Reds use the full cover replacement.
    Cost differenct $50-80 for half guards to $100+ for full covers.
    Radiator skid - never priced one, but as its name suggests it protects the bottom side of your radiator.
    Steering box Skid - protects the steering box Under $100

I'm sure others will chime in as well.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast