2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sway bar or No sway bar

I am thinking about taking the sway bars off my jeep for good. I rarely get above 50mph and drive on post most of the time. My jeep is a stock 95 with a four banger. What i am asking, would it affect anything in the long run? Thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msmith0322 View Post
    I am thinking about taking the sway bars off my jeep for good. I rarely get above 50mph and drive on post most of the time. My jeep is a stock 95 with a four banger. What i am asking, would it affect anything in the long run? Thanks
    Would definitely NOT recommend that. A buddy of mine flipped his Wrangler at 40 mph because he had to make an emergency maneuver and didn't have a front anti-sway bar.

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you learn something every day. Not to hijack the thread, but I have to share that I'm an idiot. I'm driving around my restored CJ7 with no anti-sway bar front or rear. Never thought about one because it wasn't there when I started the teardown. My jeep handles like a wet noodle on ice and I figured it was just par for the course for a old CJ.

Does anyone happen to know if the late 70's CJ7 would have come with front and rear anti-sway bars stock?
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

87 yj's were the first year for sway bars and most yj owners including my self remove front and rear trac bars. I as well as many others i know also remove the front swaybar. It really depends the condition of your leaf springs. But im willing to be since your stock u take it off and drive and it probably drives no diff then with it on just experiment with it.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The leaf springs, shocks, plates, etc are all new from the resto. I've got a 2" lift on it with 31" tires - nothing too outrageous but the steering is interesting to say the least. Its not really loose per say and the jeep tracks straight if I let go of the wheel at 50 or so mph, but the thread above caught my attention regarding emergency manuevers. If I had to yank on the wheel to avoid a dog or deer, there would be a huge delay in the response, the body would roll and I'm sure I'd lose it. Do those sound like symptoms of not having a anti-sway bar? They do to me.
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what brand springs do you have. And do you have large lift shackels? Try adjusting your steering box. My yj has no track bars or sway bars and i traverse rather well with about 5in of lift on 35's at 60mph
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sway bars

I don't run them, but my leeaf springs are super heavy. I wouldn't run your jeep with out them, but you can get some quick disconnects that allows for handling on the road and easy disconnect for the trail.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pay $120 and get JKS Quicker Sway bar disconnects

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments all - I've got rancho springs and shocks with standard shackles. I've adjusted the steering box as well - the steering is not loose and it doesn't wander at all. I just can't correct aggresively or quickly as there is too much of a delay. By the time I quickly go left and then right to avoid something, the jeep is just beginning to go left. After reading some other posts regarding symptoms experienced after removing theirs, the details seem to match what I'm facing. I don't do much aggresive off road so I don't know that I need quick disconnects- I'd really be happy to find a old OEM to throw in there for now.
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a oem setup im gettin ready to travel cross country maybe i can set a drop off with u however it is for a yj they didnt make them for the cj

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

Sapper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast