Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2004 Liberty Renegade

Okay all you 4wd experts, I need some help on my 2004 Liberty Renegade. I recently took it to the dealership because of a weird sound coming from the front right side. After investigating I found that my front axle (cv axle) had a lot of up and down play in it. Believe it or not the dealership inspected and replaced it under the 7/70000 mile drive train warranty. The mechanic recommended that I remove the 2 inch rough country lift I have on it because it might be causing the front end to bind up and it might happen again. My question is would a 2 inch lift cause that much problems with the front end? I would hate to take the lift out but if its going to cause problems then so be it. I have had the lift on the Liberty for about 2 years and there is only 40,000 miles on it.Had it since it was brand new and it has not been beaten to hard. Mostly the wife drives it. The only mistake I made were the tires. I put BFG All Terrains on it 255/70/16. The size is okay but they are load rated D. I know,I know. I didn't realize until later. I run about 30 psi in them to help the ride. Other than that its been a great vehicle. So if anyone has any good suggestions on if the lift might be the culprit let me know.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lift will not bind up your front end. I've been running a 2.5" lift for 5 years with no issues and I've just upgraded to a Frankenlift (~3.5"). I know quite a few guys that are running even higher than that.

BTW, I'm running 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs with an E load rating and have found the ride comfortable even though I run them at 38psi.

For more info, try www.lostkjs.com. There are thousands of members there and a wealth of knowledge when if comes to KJs.
    Pete
    2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with some stuff
    2008 Buell Blast
    OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
    www.lostkjs.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the lift would cause any problems but its always good to check. Man, your ride must ride rough with Load E and at 38psi. Mine at 36psi seems to ride rough as hell. I'm looking into the Frankenlift. Maybe one day I can get it once the bills I have are paid off. One can only dream. LOL! Thanks again for the info.
    R/
    Dave
    Last edited by bigeasy; 04-10-2009 at 23:42. Reason: spelling

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Load E tires at 38psi with the Frankenlift, my KJ still rides better than stock. I was running the same tires with a Daystar lift and it rode like a gocart.
    Pete
    2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with some stuff
    2008 Buell Blast
    OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
    www.lostkjs.com