User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rear-end makes a new noise!! Help?

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My rear-end makes a new noise!! Help?

When I got home last night, a new noise showed up in my rear end. It sounds like my rear axle is ratcheting when I'm in first, and clanking when I'm in reverse, but only when starting off, the sound goes away after the first few feet. It's freaking me out, and I can't get it to do it all the time which makes it difficult to show somebody else what I'm talking about... Can any of you tell me what is going on?
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinion nut torqued all the way? Maybe pinion is moving back and forth just enough to not catch on the ring gear teeth properly ?
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to pop the cover and take a peek at the ring and pinion. Could be the yoke. Remove DS from the yoke and check for play, side to side and in an out.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any kind of locker or is it an open diff? Check your pinion endplay like was described above. Could be your spider and/or side gears. You'll have to pop the cover to look at them though. If there are any chipped or broken teeth it will be real obvious.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1976 to 1980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAN-O-MAN.Thought this was another one of AFHocky31 post's.Was going to say lay off the beans,But there was a problem with a buddys rig awhile ago and it was one of the dif pin's broken.Pull your cover and have a look.Hope it's not that bad,Luck to ya
    Feed it some Green and watch it grow

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1982 to 1985

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your U joints. I have had a noise in mine I couldn't find and it turned out to be the rear U joint.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to pop open the diff... If it is my U-joints, how can I tell? Also, if it is the U-joints, would installing my SYE and CV shaft fix the problem?

I got in over my head when I decided to buy a Jeep! I used to be one of those "new noise? I'll call the shop and make an appointment!" guys, but now, I just can't afford it.
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1982 to 1985

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a new drive shaft install it and see if that fixes it, you bought it to put in the jeep anyway.
    To check the U joints park on level ground, set the parking brake and block the tires GOOD so the jeep will not roll. Put the trans in neutral, get under the jeep and hold the dif yoke in one hand, the drive shaft in the other and try to turn them in opposite directions. Then do the same at the trans yoke.
    If there is any slack in the U joint you can feel it.
    Also pay attention when you have the dif yoke in your hand push up and down to see if it has any slack in the pinion bearings, it should not move.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I don't have any play in my driveshaft or U-joints. I checked it yesterday, and put my ear against the rear diff. Nothing! no sounds, no play, nothing. I tried everything I could think of; holding the driveshaft and spinning one tire, both tires, same direction, opposite directions, spinning the driveshaft while keeping the tires still.... I was under there playing around with it for about an hour with a friend seeing if there was anything out of the ordinary, we couldn't hear, see, or feel ANYTHING. I took it out after we put the new trackbar in; after an hour and a half of starting off, and reversing, it only made the sound three time forward and once in reverse, but it really sounds like a locker ratcheting! Still no clue.
    - Shane

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW:
    The trackbar I installed yesterday was for the FRONT, not the rear.

The only thing I ended up doing to the rear was trying to find this noise by checking the driveshaft, u-joints, and differential (I'm hoping to negate popping it open). With my ear to the diff, all I could hear was very quiet and very smooth sliding, no matter what we were doing, nothing more....
    This is my DD, and I usually haul my 3yr old son around in it, I don't like to drive it anywhere if I don't know what the problem is.

Anyone?
    - Shane

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast