Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rear disc brake smokin like crazy

A little while back I noticed some occasional squeeking that was accompanied by a light burnt smell. This happened every now and then and was never consistent. So today I'm at the hobby shop doing other work on the jeep and noticed the rear drivers side pads were almost gone, they looked pretty fried. I had the rotor turned and put in new pads. The caliper was stuck when I pulled it, but after a little convincing it seemed to be working fine. A few miles down the road I started smelling the burning again, looked out the window and sure enough... there was smoking pouring out. I also noticed some liquid had come out around the brakes, probably brake fluid, but didn't see any leaks near the lines.
    I limped it to the nearest shop, they're going to look at it on monday.
    Is it common for the calipers to go out on wranglers like this? I'm just assuming it's the caliper, but is there anything else it could be?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1998 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the pads were worn down enough you could have over extended the caliper and broke the seal for the brake fluid to come out. My Pass side front started sticking for no reason, $30 bucks later and I was back on the road.
    2000 TJ with extra "STUFF"
    . _0_0_0
    /l ,[____],
    l---L--OllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Experienced General Ass

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jeff. I told you in the shop today that it could be the caliper. the slides were fine so that means the caliper or the flex brake line could be messed up. when you guys pressed the caliper in it could have been caught and cut the seal. most likely a caliper prob.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyshopass View Post
    Hey Jeff. I told you in the shop today that it could be the caliper. the slides were fine so that means the caliper or the flex brake line could be messed up. when you guys pressed the caliper in it could have been caught and cut the seal. most likely a caliper prob.
    Yeah, pretty sure that's what it is. There is fluid dripping out of it somewhere.
    NTB has it till Monday.