Served
    Served
    1982 to 1985

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I guess I've got Jeep fever I just bought my 3rd one

Well I was looking through Craigs list in Atlanta yesterday morning and this add jumps out at me "66CJ5 $1000" well I had to check it out. To make a all day story short I bought it for $900. I go to pick it up next Sat. and I can't wait to get it home.
    It's got a I 4 engine 3 speed tranny with worn OD. and all the normal rust on the tub but the frame has no rust at all. It really looks pretty good. My 14 year old son is excited about it he gets to learn to weld and drive on this old girl.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice find!
    2006 Unlimited Rubi with some extras

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1982 to 1985

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default pics

I found this 66 CJ5 on Craigslist, so I now have 3 Jeeps at my house. My 74 CJ5, my sons 83 Dj5 (he's 14 so it's mine till he's old enough to put it in his name), 66 CJ5.
    The 66 has the L head 134 with a warn OD.
    When I went to look at it the guy said the engine runs but it will not pull. It was running on one cylinder the other three were gas fouled. I got it to hit on all four so I bought it for $900.
    When I went to pick it up yesterday I set the ramps on the trailer got in the jeep started it up and started playing with the trans/transf/OD shifters and found he had the transf in neutral. I put it in gear shifted into 1st gear and drove it onto the trailer. My wife said the guys jaw dropped. He had not been able to get it to move.
    It has most of the normal problems rusted floor pans, bad wire splices, only one exhaust stud left unbroken in the head, but it has the original bumpers (that have not been welded on or cut up), the springs and axles look unmolested.
    Anyhow this is my new project.

My wife calls it "Gerty"

My wife standing in the back of "Gerty"

Me working on "Gerty"