Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rough Country 4" x-series

Anyone out there running the Rough Country x-series lift on there TJ? It looks like a pretty complete kit and the price isn't bad either. I'm hoping to buy a lift in a couple of weeks but I wanted to get a little feed back first.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WillysTJ View Post
    Anyone out there running the Rough Country x-series lift on there TJ? It looks like a pretty complete kit and the price isn't bad either. I'm hoping to buy a lift in a couple of weeks but I wanted to get a little feed back first.
    i say save your money and do it right with a long arm. you'll never have to upgrade suspension again. full traction has a really nice one. so does rock krawler. id personally go with the rock krawler b/c of their control arms.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been running the Rough Country 4" lift for 2 years now. The only problem I've had with it are the springs are shiet. I just replaced them with Clayton springs which are much stronger and stiffer. If I had to do it all over, I would go for the Clayton 4" Long Arm lift kit. My next addition will be their long arms.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran the X Seris on my 99TJ And I agree with the above statement. The springs do wear premature but it reayy is a great lift for the Money. You can always run the lift until you get spring fatigue and just replace with quality springs. I can say when I sold my jeep the new owner sent Rough Country Emails and pics and they sent him brand new replacement springs and bushings
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Fred, mine started bowing and rubbing up against my front bump stops. The squeaking was driving me crazy until I found where it was coming from. Finally chucked them and replaced them with Claytons, good price too, $149 for the front and $149 for the rear.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Travis AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    i say save your money and do it right with a long arm. you'll never have to upgrade suspension again. full traction has a really nice one. so does rock krawler. id personally go with the rock krawler b/c of their control arms.

X2 save your money and do it right. If you are set on a short arm lift check out the RK short arm lifts very nice and strong.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the $ I'd have to says its a good entry level kit. My last wrangler had the 4" and like the name implys its a little Rough riding. I felt the track bar was weak, its my experience a regular tie rod end isnt strong enough on the frame end to endure alot of hard flexing. over all though I'd say its a solid kit.
    Customer service is pretty good as I have had friends call about different items and replacements were in the mail immediately free of charge!

Spring sag seems to be common to all to some degree. I'm currently running the RE superflex 4.5 and am very happy with it but have noticed some sag in the springs but started at over 5". The 4wd hardware kit I replaced in the last year also had some sag. Nature of the beast I guess?
    Joe

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ran the RC 4.5" on the XJ and currently have a 4" on the YJ. Haven't had any complaints on them other than being a stiffer ride. I've loved them.

Didn't have any spring issues with the front of the XJ (same as a TJ), so don't know what to tell you there.
    Personally though if your considering long arm anytime in the future I would look at the RE 5.5 LA. Heard nothing but good about them on TJ/LJ.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear what you guys are saying about the long arm kits, but they are a little out of my price range. Supposedly RC has newly designed springs in there kits now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army

I was looking at the RC 6" X series lift. I had thought about the 5.5" Rock Krawler long arm, thought maybe save some money, but now that I have read some of these reviews, might go with something else. Does anybody have any experience with the Superlift 6" lift, still trying to keep to a budget. Gonna change my gears, locker, extended cv drive shaft, 35X12.50X15 tires, and a winch, and rock sliders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast