Served
    Served
    1985 to 1987

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default airaid throttle body spacer

I need a little help. I have a 08 unlimited wrangler. I have changed the airbox with an afe cold air intake, put a cat muffler, added a rugged ridge xhd front bumper..about 250 lbs, a rear smittybilt bumper about 120 lbs, raised it 1" and added tires of 285/75/16. Super swampers.
    I replaced the full steel doors with half steel doors, all four and also added a Wildboar Fastback Hard T-Top. ( Oh, by the way, half steel doors will work with a hard top. I have no leaks and the tops of the doors stay closed very well)
    Anyway, I am only getting about 11 to 12 mpg on city and hwy. I wanted to know if adding a air throttle spacer might help or improve the engine performance in any way. Thanks for your time. I'll send some pics of the new top and jeep for you guys. Wes

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have direct into the cyclinder fuel injection I do not think a spacer will do you any good, as my understanding of how a spacer works is that it gives the fuel/air mixture more time to combine before it gets to the cyclinders. If I am mistaken someone will correct me I hope.

What engine do you have? With the bigger tires you might want to change your gear ratio. What are your RPM's running at?
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, did not do a thing for me, 08 2 dr Rubicon. I'm running about 16 mpg, avg with stock tires...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throttle Body Spacers are pointless on direct injection man. If you want better mileage try regearing a bit or have a set of street tires for daily driving. Swampers create some serious rolling resistance and they weigh quite a bit too= lower MPG. Get some at's for toolin around town and save the swampers for wheeling, that way they might have some tread left when you get to the trail. Street tires adjusted to the right pressure will raise your MPG for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1987

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx guys for the assist. Your time is appreciated! I guess low mpg is the price for a nice looking ride. Ha!
    Last edited by MJANDWES; 04-25-2009 at 18:20.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by MJANDWES View Post
    I need a little help. I have a 08 unlimited wrangler. I have changed the airbox with an afe cold air intake, put a cat muffler, added a rugged ridge xhd front bumper..about 250 lbs, a rear smittybilt bumper about 120 lbs, raised it 1" and added tires of 285/75/16. Super swampers.
    I replaced the full steel doors with half steel doors, all four and also added a Wildboar Fastback Hard T-Top. ( Oh, by the way, half steel doors will work with a hard top. I have no leaks and the tops of the doors stay closed very well)
    Anyway, I am only getting about 11 to 12 mpg on city and hwy. I wanted to know if adding a air throttle spacer might help or improve the engine performance in any way. Thanks for your time. I'll send some pics of the new top and jeep for you guys. Wes
    I have never gotten out of the 10-14 mpg range, even when it was as stock as I got it (the dealer put a 2" lift and 33s on it). I have the AirRaid on mine, with the stock air box, it didn't do anything. I haven't bothered to take the time to pull it out and see if there's any difference with the cold air, but I doubt it.

The only reason I got one is someone on another board said it worked miracles for him. Don't know what he was smoking, or if he just imagined the difference in the hopes of explaining away the cost, but really, it's a waste of money. I don't know what the JKs get in stock form (especially the 4 door versions), but when I bought mine, I was thinking in comparison to my 33-clad 4-banger TJ and guessed about 12 mpg. So, I guess now that I get 10-14, I'm not dissapointed, but I wouldn't complain about getting better milage.

As for the suggestion of running street tires and having the swampers for playing, I thought about that. Especially with LTBs, they get way better traction than the other tires I've run, but that's because they're soft and wear fast. My problem with doing it though, is out of the last 10 trips in the dirt that I took, only 1 was planned...

Good luck though, and post up anything that works well for you. My next project is adding a few ground cables to even out the occassional funky idle. That's worked for me in the past, though it didn't make a huge difference in anything outside of idle and low speed puttering.

You might check into a programmer if you haven't already. My HyperTech did make a big difference in performance, and they have the Econ, which is supposed to optomize milage. Before I started messing with other stuff, it did make a couple MPG on the highest setting, and I was actually getting close to 16. Driving style makes a big difference with that too, when gas money gets low and I keep off the throttle, I notice a big difference in how fast I go through gas too.

Sorry if I rambled, but hopefully there's something useful to you.