Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Navy Daily Driver

I have a 97 TJ and it is my daily driver and I was looking to put a lift on it and was wondering which one to buy 3.35" or 4" they are both rough country
    3.25"
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_3.html
    4"
    http://roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_4.html
    I know that the 4 inch comes with control arms and the 3 inch comes with better shocks, and its costs more.
    I have 31/10.5 tires on there right now
    some input would be great thanks!

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on what you want to do in reference to off roading. If it is going to stay a daily driver i would say tuff country. Rough country doesn't always include everything in there kits. but overall i guess you could go that route. they will both run about the same price. I am gonna recommend BDS, Skyjacker, or RE. And in that order two. Trust me you will see what i mean when you look at prices in that order. Good quality product and usually always have all the parts you need. What size tires do you want to run. post up so pics.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i want to do some off roading but it will mostly be a daily driver. I was looking on jcwhitney and the rough country lift has a 4.3 out of 5. For the tires I plan to keep the ones that I have until they are worn out then get bigger.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1980 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend looking at the OME kit. It handles and rides great both on and off road. It is not as tall as the lifts you are looking but that has advantages, both on and off road. Lower center of gravity, better angles on the control arms, and less chance of drive shaft vibrations just to name a few. Combine it with a 1 inch body lift and you will be able to clear the same size tire (or even larger if done right, I'm running 34's).

Give Dirk a call at DPG Offroad and he will help match the right setup to what you need and your budget. I easily spent a couple of hours on the phone with him setting up my system.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough Country is fine man, they give a 10% discount to military and they are super helpful people on the phone. They will actually warranty any of your shit if it breaks and they just rock in my opinion. I run a 4.5" Rough Country kit on my rig and I love it. I paid $720 for the lift and adjustable track bar shipped to my Apo in Germany. I think they have the new 2.2 gas shocks available for your TJ which are waaayyyyy better than their standard oil shocks.

I had everything I needed in my package to install the lift and some extra crap as well. Bang for the buck Rough Country is where it's at in my opinion.

As far as height, GO Big. You will want to later. Get the 4" kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army It depends...

How big is bigger? The size of the tire that you want is important too. My TJ had a 2" spacer/ 1" body lift with 33s, and it did well both on and off road, and still rode like a stocker and only needed shocks and an alignment. bigger tires and bigger lifts will start putting you into more install problems, but if you get a good kit, it will have everything.

Lift kit equation:

On-road driving time+Driving style/Tire size+off-road style= Proper lift

Which means, if you drive 95% of the time on the road, and then drive light trails, you will probably want a kit that leans more towards road manners than someone who drives 50/50 and hits the rocks most weekends.

In any case, call the manufacturer that you chose, tell them which kit that you are considering and see if they have any suggestions. A few of my buddies and old customers did that, and they reps on the phone actually helped them customize the kit to exactly what they needed for little or no extra cost. You don't wheel like every other guy out there with a TJ and a certain kit on it, so why not see if you can turn that kit into what you need? I'm looking at doing that myself when I redo the bottom half of my JK.

Just remember to go for what works for you, and don't let your buddies talk you into something crazy that you don't need, won't like, and will regret. Good luck, and hopes that you get what you want out of your Jeep.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terrydaktal View Post
    I have a 97 TJ and it is my daily driver and I was looking to put a lift on it and was wondering which one to buy 3.35" or 4" they are both rough country
    3.25"
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_3.html
    4"
    http://roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_4.html
    I know that the 4 inch comes with control arms and the 3 inch comes with better shocks, and its costs more.
    I have 31/10.5 tires on there right now
    some input would be great thanks!
    Didn't you start this in another thread?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but that one was about the spacers I had bought.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terrydaktal View Post
    well i want to do some off roading but it will mostly be a daily driver. I was looking on jcwhitney and the rough country lift has a 4.3 out of 5. For the tires I plan to keep the ones that I have until they are worn out then get bigger.
    Then i take back what i said. If its a daily driver i would go with rough country. they have been around for a while and make quality kits. plus they are usually a little cheaper. I ran rough country lift for two years. Not that i can say it happens all the time but do expect tht it may sag a 1/2 or 1 inch. and i would say go bigger too. everyone always say do it right the first time. sometimes that is true sometimes not. but you will eventually want bigger tires and just enjoy the 4 inch lift more later.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont order from jcwhittney. Dont get skyjacker. The OME kit is a very good kit. I would also look in to Rusty's offroad. They make quality stuff and have awsome customer service. Rough Country is also good and they have good customer service as well. A good place to start would be how much money are you looking to spend, are you installing it your self. Also keep in mind you will need a SYE and drive shaft depending on height.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast