Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Axles and V8 questions...

Okay, I'll try to keep this simple...

I'm going to upgrade my axles when I get back, and I'm trying to decide between ProRocks and Rock Jocks. Anyone know anyone with either? Which is better? Dynatrac's website says they "can" set up the ProRocks for most Jeep applications, while the ads for the Rock Jock axles specifically say they work with the JK electronics, but so far the Rock Jocks seem more expensive.

Second, AEV had a Hemi swap kit for the JK, but you have to put an auto behind it. Does anyone know of a good V8 kit for the JKs that will let me keep the 6-speed? The Hemi would be nice, but I can't seem to find any kits for other brands or a Hemi w/manual kit. Might have to do it in true old-school fabber style, but I'd rather keep it off the road for as little time as possible.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can Say IS WOW your looking at spend a TON more than you have to. You could have a reputable Off Road Shop Build you a pair of D60's for 1/2 of what you'd pay for one Pro-Rock or Rock Jock. AS for the engine Most everyone I know with a V8 did thier own and in the end cost htem about $2000.
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dodge has a 5 speed or maybe a 6 mated to hemi in their trucks don't they why can't you use one of those
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Not all who wander r lost TBrock's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1980 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TexCJ7 View Post
    dodge has a 5 speed or maybe a 6 mated to hemi in their trucks don't they why can't you use one of those
    Length? I'd bet a truck transmission/t-case pair would leave you very little space for the rear driveshaft.
    Not a JK but I bet these people can help.
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tj_swap.htm
    Last edited by TBrock; 04-25-2009 at 23:08.
    "Some people will tell you that slow is good -- and it may be, on some days -- but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube."
    HST

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TexCJ7 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I've been trying to find someone with the answer, but so far it depends on who you talk to as to whether the Getrag 6 speed in the JKs are the same units as the Getrag 6 speeds in the pickups. In theory, it should be possible, and I haven't gotten an answer back from the people I have found online with kits. The AEV "kit" is actually a full kit with the engine, transmission, install and everything, and costs more than I paid for the JK ($26,000!!).

The kits all use the car-type Hemi though, and that's the main hurdle. It's something about accessory clearance in the JK from what I can find. I was actually looking to swap in a 4.7, since I had one of those before and I loved it, but I guess from other forums that the 4.7 is much more trouble to get into the engine bay. Surprisingly enough, Dodge/Jeep dealers don't seem to know that much about the engines they're using, and I've heard (but can't confirm) that the car and truck Hemi engines bolt up to different trannys. This doesn't make sense, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with one of the swap kits that's just the mounts and stuff and working with Advance and Novak to figure out how to keep my tranny. I'm already looking at an Atlas anyway, so I might just have to move the whole project to the back burner for a little longer until I can figure everything out. I just don't want to end up with one of those projects that takes 2 years just because you're trying to figure out everything as you go along.

The push away from manual trannys is driving me nuts though, it makes it harder to find easy swaps, and Chrysler has seemingly eliminated them completely in most of their vehicles, so that when the great day of a factory V8 JK finally comes, they'll have an auto behind it anyway... :/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army A point...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    All I can Say IS WOW your looking at spend a TON more than you have to. You could have a reputable Off Road Shop Build you a pair of D60's for 1/2 of what you'd pay for one Pro-Rock or Rock Jock. AS for the engine Most everyone I know with a V8 did thier own and in the end cost htem about $2000.
    You have a point. I'll have to check into it, but my concern there is the damned electronic babysitters on the JK. I don't want to end up having problems with them from an axle swap (I've had plenty already), and then there's he question of whether a shop could make a 60 work with them without adding enough cost to overshoot the prefabbed axles. I'll have to check into it, though, and maybe some of my fellow Colorado guys could suggest a good shop?

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JKGhost View Post
    You have a point. I'll have to check into it, but my concern there is the damned electronic babysitters on the JK. I don't want to end up having problems with them from an axle swap (I've had plenty already), and then there's he question of whether a shop could make a 60 work with them without adding enough cost to overshoot the prefabbed axles. I'll have to check into it, though, and maybe some of my fellow Colorado guys could suggest a good shop?
    I cannot suggest a good shop but if a Shop cannot BUILD a D60 for under $8000 then they deserve to be out of buisness!! I have a buddy in KY who built a YJ and he has a Pair of Rock Jock 60's under it. The front is built for a TJ and the rear for a YJ. They were cut down to stock width and came with 5.13 gears but no lockers. He got the pair for $16,500. If a shop cannot build some HELLACIOUS axles for less than that there is an issue
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Wow...

I'm going to have to dig that ad out and look again, I could swear it said the RJ60's for the JK were $5k for the front and $3 for the rear... This weekend I might cruise over to the one shop I've actually found (I know there's more, just haven't found 'em yet...) and see what they have to say.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the NV 4500 is a good manual trans to mate to a V8, also buddy of mine selling a 14bolt rear and 44 front with new shafts u-joint lockers 5:13s (pirate style axles) for 3500 for the pair
    Just another lifted, locked and cut up TJ, Have Cummins, will tow

Random Jeep Stuff

My YouTube page

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Burnsville Off Road in MN does HEMI with manual transmissions, I would call them and ask which one they use and hopefully you can do it for less than the $20K they ask for. http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/

AEV sells a HEMI kit for the JK and I think www.Teraflex.biz and www.4WS.com do as well. Teraflex also has their CRD60 rea and CRD50 front axles which you may want to look at before spending your money elsewhere. AEV mentions on their site that the JK Rubicon Dana 44 do well with the HEMI, but if you are going to get into some serious wheeling I can understand wanting to do the upgrade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast