Closest Installation

Fort Stewart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question---jet chip and hypertec programmer

Alright, So heres my question....

I bought the Jet performance chip and also the Hypertec Power Programmer. If you put the chip in, then program the jeeps computer with the programmer will that re-program or affect the jet chip in anyway? Did i just waste money on the jet chip? and if it did affect the Jet chip does anyone know if that chip can be re-programmed so it can be used again?

I got the chip in the mail first and when i plugged it in i noticed a pretty good difference but when i programmed the computer im not sure if i noticed anything beyond what the chip had already given me.

Any ideas?????
    Last edited by C-Truck; 04-28-2009 at 22:19. Reason: typo

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the programmer flashes the computer so you are gaining just the benifits of one of them. You cant double up on programers.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

C-Truck I agree with RescueYJ. I use the Hypertech which I chose over the Jet Chip or other device because I can restore the factory settings and read the diagnostic codes. I found that on the middle setting I get a little better throttle response and a small improvement in mpg running regular gas. If I use the performance setting I have to run premium, but the performance improvement is noticeble, but my mileage drops slightly (maybe because I have my foot in it more) any way, the Hypertech is matched to your ECM for your Jeep. Not sure how the Jet Chip would effect the Hypertech's programing, but my guess is that one will work and the other won't. Meaning either the Hypertech will overwrite the Jet Chip so yes you wasted your money, or it won't, but it will then not change the programming on your factory ECM and all you have is an expensive error code reader.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Stewart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah thats pretty much what i though. Thanks for the input. I guess ill have to find someone with a JK and see if they want to try the chip and see if it still works. Maybe i can recover a little cash from it. Live and learn..... Thanks again

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad has a jk let me know which one is for sale and how much
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Stewart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill be getting rid of the Jet Chip but before i do i want to make sure the programming in it hasnt been messed up. Ill either call Jet or try it out in another jeep. Ill let you know more as soon as i get a chance. Im moving to Ft. Stewart today so it might me about a week or so before i get back to you.

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realize that chips and the Hypertech programmer really only give a slight boost when you're at wide-open-throttle and extremely high rpms. To me and this is strictly my personal opinion, they are a 100% waste of $$$ unless you plan to race your new Jeep at the drag strip. Neither produces a low-end power boost and they really don't produce noticeable gains in normal driving either.
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/