Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF Non Jeep HELP 1999 GMC Burban

Ok guys and gals heres the problem wife was driving home from work yesterday doing about 45 when she heard a clunk and the engine died. We towed it home (XJ to the rescue) and started trouble shooting. Got the alternator to AZ and got it checked it was good Batt was good(til I killed it trying to start it) replaced the fuel filter (clogged) sprayed ether in the intake engine started and shut off tried and tried again started and shut off pushed it in the driveway (XJ saved the night) since HOA doesnt like vehicles facing in the wrong direction on the street. Checked fuel press key on 66psi for 2-3 sec while pump ran then dropped to 60 but held until depressurised. Got spark got fuel got air no start any Ideas. It is a 1999 GMC Suburban 350 C1500 2WD injectors and press reg only about 6 months old same with cap and rotor plugs and wires.
    "If it Turns, Burns, Banks, and Rolls Crew Chiefs made it do it."

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was doing a bit of searching and these were the two most common fixes I found:

1. did some research online and found out about the passlock system. If the security light is on it will not allow fuel to go to the engine. Our security light was on so I did some checking in the truck. There was a wire in the steering column that was broke! I guess it is a common thing in those trucks. So I replaced the wire & the light went off...now the truck is fine!

2. Funny thing happened today, not long after I posted the above about the Idle Air Valve, I went to work on a truck with a check engine light on, and guess what?

It had an Idle Air Control Valve code! And that was all.

3. Clean the throttle body, and the injectors have a habit of sticking on these engines.

They are put in order of precedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing would be th Cam position Sensor. That or the crank position sensor. CRS is first guess though.

Jeff
    Last edited by J.Russ; 05-07-2009 at 14:40.

Chiks=Trouble XJ=:) CrewDawg15/22's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF

Thanks guys so far i have replaced the starter because I burned it out. I went ahead and replaced the injectors since I figured they were part of the fuel system and only had a few months left on the warrenty. The damn thing started and sounds like crap kind of like a popcorn machine and an m-16 going off at the same time. But I did get a code this time P1345 which says its a manufacturer control or mis fire looked in the Haynes and it says its a timing mismatch between the Cam and Crank so I am now going out to change one at a time and see what happens will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Chiks=Trouble XJ=:) CrewDawg15/22's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys for all the help. this is where I am at now.

When I pulled the cap off the distrubutor I found the culpirate, turns out one of the screws to the rotor came off and bounced around in the distributor tearing every thing up. Well I went back to AZ got a new distributor, cap, and rotor, installed it all now its running like a kitten but still keeps asserting the P1345 fault code. what next??

Oh yeah did I tell you guys I love my Jeep. Proved itself in one day and the wife was in awe it was like the little Engine that could hell I wish I could find the guy that pulled his cell phone out and took a picture. I would love to get a copy of it.
    Last edited by CrewDawg15/22; 05-08-2009 at 01:42.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time you get that code is because of the cam position sensor. I can't remember if that model had it in the distributor or not. If no then check the crank position sensorthose two work in conjunction. The crank position sensor is located above your starter. That mean you will have to drop it again to get access.

Jeff

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to clear the fault.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric