Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No progress being made

I've been working on my Jeep for two years, but I haven't touched it in a while. SO, after four months of stepping over parts in my garage, I finally got enough initiative to drag my welder out and try to start replacing the bad steel in my tub. All the Camp MJ stories and pictures have me envious. I was pretty pleased with myself. I made a little progress, and the welds weren't looking too bad. I got the steel on the wheel wells done underneath the roll bar base. All was going well til I smelled smoke that was a little different. I lifted my hood and looked down at my feet. FIRE!!!

I caught my grass on fire, and it was spreading quickly. I was only about 8 feet from my hose reel, so I grabbed it and turned on the water.......nothing! I could hear it running though, so I started pulling out the hose just as fast as I could. A glance at the flames told me that even though the grass was green, it was DRY! Finally I found the hole that was spewing water at high pressure, and I aimed it at the flames and was able to get everything out....but not before burning a small part of the neighbors yard too.

I soaked the whole yard down and just stared in disbelief. Man, will I ever get this damn Jeep done? Florida summers are hot and miserable, and we really need rain. I didn't have it in me to do anything else to the Jeep, so I put it all back up in my garage and hoped that I wouldn't burn down my damn house. Who knows when it will ever get drug out again? Then I just sat there staring at the burnt spots and wondered what to say to the neighbor who is so meticulous about his yard.

This damn tub is holding me up. I need to get the pans finished so I can shoot primer and paint and start reassembly. It would sure be nice to have it done and meet up with y'all at Camp MJ 2010!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn dude. Tough break. You have just over a year before the 2010 Camp MJ (hopefully), so get motivated

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your woes! Tell your neighbor you heard burning was good for the grass and that it will come back greener and healthier.

Pull the Jeep back out and start again tomorrow. It could have been worse - it could have been you , the Jeep or the house. Grass seed is cheap - hell, I'll sent you some.
    Old enough to know better, too young to quit!

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfever View Post
    I caught my grass on fire, and it was spreading quickly. I was only about 8 feet from my hose reel, so I grabbed it and turned on the water.......nothing! I could hear it running though, so I started pulling out the hose just as fast as I could. A glance at the flames told me that even though the grass was green, it was DRY! Finally I found the hole that was spewing water at high pressure, and I aimed it at the flames and was able to get everything out....but not before burning a small part of the neighbors yard too.
    Pics or it didn't happen
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught my yard on fire a few weeks back cutting some angle with my chop saw. It grows back. Just tell your neighbor that the fire started on his side and he owes you some seed . Get it all back out in the morning and keep on working.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude,
    now that it is all burnt you have nothing left to worry about. You could also soak the ground down with the hose Before you start again as well, or you could give me your address and a good date to stop by. I will then come to your house, load your jeep on a trailer, sign the title and take it home to fix it myself. Get er done man, your avatar is depressing. Just look at that poor thing, it actually looks as if it is frowning. It reminds me of my neighbor girl who sits in the window and watches all the other kids play outside. Ok rant off.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you snuck onto my photobucket account and lifted some of my pics, like this one

here's the repaired area

Just a few pics to help in the motivation department. Know that it's all worth the effort once the project is complete.
    As a mind game I did baby steps on the rebuild, one small area at a time, otherwise it'll never get finished.
    Later, T.J.