2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Automatic Tranny in '04 Rubi

Since I added a bunch of wieght to my heep over the last couple of years, and changed the tire size too, the heep has no power at highway speeds at about 2600 RPM. The engine will sorta bog down when I push the gas, unless I push enough to force a downshift, which is really hard on motor at those speeds (55mph-65mph). When I'm going up hill at about 65 on the highway, it'll just keep slowing down, untill Im rolling at about 50 or so, or force the downshift to keep up with traffic (slowlane...).
    All that said for this, is there a way to adjust the tranny's shift points or ? to get it to downshift on it's own without burying the throttle? I guess the larger tires fool the tranny computer...can I readjust to the way it was before? Her highway manners are annoying me! Thanks y'all-Ed
    "What is life without honor? Degradation is worse than death!"
    -Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you turn off your overdrive? After armor, winch, bumpers and 33" tires my auto is a dog on the highway unless I turn off the overdrive.

The only real way to make up for it is with gears. The consensus over on ROF is 4.88 gears if you're going to stick with 33's and 5.13 gears if you think you'll go up to 3's or larger.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS North Island
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2 if you haven't re-geared you should do that first.
    '02 Wrangler TJ
    '04 Rubi
    '88 Wrangler YJ
    '94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
    '47 CJ2A

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x3

Shut off your overdrive in hills on the freeway.

Regear to 4.88 for 33's and and 5.13 for 35's or larger.

you can go to 5.13's in the Rubi front 44. Dana 30's are limited to 4.88 max gears.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what gears come stock in the rubi? I thought they were 4.10 if you only have 33's you shouldnt be suckin that bad.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rescueyj View Post
    what gears come stock in the rubi? I thought they were 4.10 if you only have 33's you shouldnt be suckin that bad.
    They are 4.10 but the 4 speed auto has a very high .65 to 1 overdrive that kicks in at only 45 mph.

Its a dog with 31's. With 33's or larger it bogs like crazy at speed on hills. Forget pulling a trailer.

I love my auto but it is what it is. The word from other owners that have actually regeared on Jeep Forum and Rubicon Owners Forum is that its a whole new animal with deeper gears.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha I love my 3speed auto. Im runnin 4.10 and 35's and its money. Im goin to step up to 4.56 though
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got 4.10s in the rubi. They only feel slightly better than I had on my X with 3.07s. The auto tranny gearing ratio's are different.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha I love my 3speed auto. Im runnin 4.10 and 35's and its money. Im goin to step up to 4.56 though
    Conventional Jeep wisdom from most gear charts are that for 1to1 final drive ratio - 4.10's are the gas mileage and 4.56 are power gears for 33's. For 35's its 4.56 and 4.88.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, I've done that too, but that leaves me running at about 3300rpm all the way, killing my tank and stressing the engine. But, I've done it to chug up longer hills...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Do you turn off your overdrive? After armor, winch, bumpers and 33" tires my auto is a dog on the highway unless I turn off the overdrive.

The only real way to make up for it is with gears. The consensus over on ROF is 4.88 gears if you're going to stick with 33's and 5.13 gears if you think you'll go up to 3's or larger.
    "What is life without honor? Degradation is worse than death!"
    -Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast