User Tag List

Thread: Jeep Wrangler Tire Carrier

usnavymitchells

Default Jeep Wrangler Tire Carrier

Anyone familiar with this company/product. Seems like they offer a good product for a lot less than some of the major manufacturers. Let me know if you have had any personal experience or know of someone who has.

http://www.tuffdesigns.com/TireCarrier.html

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno, but if you're mounting that much shit on your rear bumper, spring for that frame tie-in

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Dunno, but if you're mounting that much shit on your rear bumper, spring for that frame tie-in
    It actually replaces the rear bumper as part of the whole unit. The frame tie in they sell is for the TJ only!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, but what you bolt the bumper up to is still only so strong. I bent my TJ's rear crossmember with a simple pull from a hole. If you go for this, see if Rob can come up with some tie-in brackets. Eddie (Bersrk) makes tie-ins for his bumper mucho cheaper than that.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, I would go with Eddie or Rob on the Bumper/Tire Carrier. They both make Yeti rated products
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats funny! I just wheeled with a guy last Saturday that has that exact carrier! He liked it, except for the rattling, he had to add some little rubber pads where it closes. And the latch, or lack thereof, isn't great. He also put some hunting boxes (plastic ammo cans) in place of the Gerry cans.

A guy in my club bought one of Besrks rear bumper/tire carriers for his TJ, (small world!) having seen both, I'd say Besrk's a much better deal, although the one you posted isn't bad.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Eddie's with the frame tie in and have pulled serious weight with it.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe Eddie's YJ rear bumper/tire carrier comes with frame tie ins. At least, the last person I talked to with a yj said they didn't.... so I could be wrong.

The tire carrier posted looks like it's got a lot up top with the only latch down on the bumper. I bet that would rattle and rock around quite a bit.

I bought the or fab tire carrier... it's not the bumper just the tire carrier. Has a space for 2 jerry cans, hi lift, back up light and cb antenna. Lots of braces and support hardware and probably the most sturdy one I've see so far.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looking at the photos I would question the strength of the hinge and the latch, looks like just a pin holds it and if so it will rattle. Also, if you had a TJ, I see no set up for the third break light to me moved to? A buddy of mine lives in Saylorsburg, PA and has a radical CJ-7 but also has a shop where he makes custom bumpers, tire carriers, roll cages, etc. If interested let me know and I will PM you his contact info.

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    Looking at the photos I would question the strength of the hinge and the latch, looks like just a pin holds it and if so it will rattle. Also, if you had a TJ, I see no set up for the third break light to me moved to? A buddy of mine lives in Saylorsburg, PA and has a radical CJ-7 but also has a shop where he makes custom bumpers, tire carriers, roll cages, etc. If interested let me know and I will PM you his contact info.
    PM sent.