Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep Top

I have the chance to pick up a hard top for my jeep but it is off a 59 jeep CJ5. I have a 79 CJ5 and am not sure if it would fit. I think they might be a different size but not sure. If you know would you let me know. The top and doors are only $125 they need painted but its a heck of a deal.

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drive your jeep over topless to look at it. Then "try it on" like anything else. Its the only real way to know if its going to fit or not. I have a hardtop & full doors that did not come with my jeep.Got 'em used. THey are "supposed' to fit, but the doors dont line up right.. they are good enough to close & make due. If the person really wants to sell they should have no problem with you trying it out.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeafspringMARINE View Post
    drive your jeep over topless to look at it. Then "try it on" like anything else. Its the only real way to know if its going to fit or not. I have a hardtop & full doors that did not come with my jeep.Got 'em used. THey are "supposed' to fit, but the doors dont line up right.. they are good enough to close & make due. If the person really wants to sell they should have no problem with you trying it out.
    X2 What Leafspring said.

My understanding on CJ5's is that the doors won't work but I don't know first hand. Was looking for a top & doors for an 81 and was told the early ones would not work. Couldn't find a hard top & doors so never bought the jeep. Good luck!
    Old enough to know better, too young to quit!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If memory serves me incorrectly, the early CJ5's up to the mid 70's (75/76) were interchangeable for parts like hard tops. I don't think that it will fit, but I would check it out as stated above.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant as I am not drivable yet. I am still needing to change out my steering box. and gas tank out. I was bidding on one of those on ebay. It needs a few things to get it on the street. I will get there. Thanks for the info though.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
    I am still needing to change out my steering box. and gas tank out
    I went with a 'Big Daddy' steering box mount (I read you mentioned just the box - but you're already there), and I changed out my steering shaft with a 'Flaming River' shaft - both upgrades were well worth the $.
    I also swapped out the gas tank to a 21 gal poly tank - nice.
    Have fun on the upfits.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had what they call a 100 mile yard sale this week end. I got real lucky on a brush gaurd and back bumper for my jeep. I picked them both up for $20. I also ran across a wrangler that was found in the bottom of a rock quary under water. (Insurance scam) dont know how long it was sitting there but the guy wants $500 for it. It still has the engine but I dont think its any good. The vaulve covers were rusted through. The Jeep body was in great shape. just no winshield mount or seats. It would be a great start for someone to build. And of course no title.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaTee View Post
    I went with a 'Big Daddy' steering box mount (I read you mentioned just the box - but you're already there), and I changed out my steering shaft with a 'Flaming River' shaft - both upgrades were well worth the $.
    I also swapped out the gas tank to a 21 gal poly tank - nice.
    Have fun on the upfits.
    Later, T.J.
    Thanks I will look into them.