2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default a bad decision?

when i bought my tj i rushed and installed a small subwoofer and box that fits behind my rear seat. i also ripped out the stock weatherproof stereo and but in an aftermarket deck. now that i run no doors and no top almost all the time, i'm wondering if i should cut my losses and take out the sub- or even as far as the deck with ipod connector. when it rains i cover my box with an issued poncho, and it does the trick- but leaves room only for tow straps and a 1st aid kit in the rear. i'm wondering if anyone else runs sound, and if so how. i will not sacrifice offroading for a suv- i beat it up. should i take it out or keep in until it gets waterlogged and stops working?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have an 8" bazooka in the very back and a kenwood deck I don't have much room in the back any more but I think its worth it. But I rarely take the top off so i don't worry about getting it wet.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1981 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Meade
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its a target for thieves. Its already easy to "loose" trivial stuff

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What year is your TJ?

I would leave the head unit in and just remove the faceplate when in high theft situations. Cover it when in alot of dust or raining on the trail.

An Idea for the sub is the factory console from a Jeep TJ that had 7 speaker stereo stock and the sub mounted. You should be able to find one at a junkyard or google davey's jeeps. My 05 Lj has a sub mounted there, it sounds fine, its pretty much out of sight of thieves, and does not take up any room in the back.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. it's an 05 tj willys edition, and so it came with a small 3 in sub in the center console that i bypassed. i take the faceplate and gps off when i leave it anywhere but my garage too. i think i'll look into something a little more weather and theft proof

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i bought my tj it came with the jeep brand sub in the rear its a plastic case with sub and 2 tweets sounds decent. it takes up room in th eback but works as a small security trunk by making an L shape back there so you have a closed off section between the sub and the tail gate.
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    thanks. it's an 05 tj willys edition, and so it came with a small 3 in sub in the center console that i bypassed. i take the faceplate and gps off when i leave it anywhere but my garage too. i think i'll look into something a little more weather and theft proof
    I do the same and never leave my GPS in the Jeep unless its locked in the Tuffy drawer.

Wouldent be any more theft proof unless you mounted it in a tuffy console - but you could pull the head unit that you have now and replace it with a marine grade head unit. They are designed to withstand moisture, vibration and the pounding that they can get when mounted in boats. Check out Crutchfield for some good marine grade head units.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only mod my 98 had when I bought it was a radio- kenwood- decent unit but I HATED taking off the face plate everytime I stopped( or I go in a stoe and then remeber i forgot to take it off) So I bought a head unit for 20 bucks from an 02+ TJ and used the dremmel to mod the center dash to fit. Now I have no worries of anyone wanting to steal it, but I have pre amp outs cd player ect.

Of course I doubt I am into thumping as much as you, I just need some cd's or radio noise to sooth the savage beast and I'm happy
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1980 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    when i bought my tj i rushed and installed a small subwoofer and box that fits behind my rear seat. i also ripped out the stock weatherproof stereo and but in an aftermarket deck. now that i run no doors and no top almost all the time, i'm wondering if i should cut my losses and take out the sub- or even as far as the deck with ipod connector. when it rains i cover my box with an issued poncho, and it does the trick- but leaves room only for tow straps and a 1st aid kit in the rear. i'm wondering if anyone else runs sound, and if so how. i will not sacrifice offroading for a suv- i beat it up. should i take it out or keep in until it gets waterlogged and stops working?
    No top or doors... with all the road noise I can't hear the stereo, so why bother.

HUNT'N FISHING AN JEEPIN Bun-B' s YJ's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army

I cant hear the stereo unless im stoped i do pull head unit dont run with top or doors and still have factory stereo in 95 YJ when it gets wet I drive with the head in my hand out in the wind still works!
    Been ridin' instyle on Brads since '90-08 now stuck behind desk, please shoot me..