User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front turn signals dont work when headlights are on.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Front turn signals dont work when headlights are on.

Added the MVC Tube Fenders, then added some amber colored lights in the front and the side to act as turn signals. When the headlights are off, the turn signals work (front and rear), when the headlights are on, the turn signals in the front do not work, but the rear turn signals work.

I was probably the quickest fail in Texas State Inspection history. I pulled in the garage, he said "left turn signal..........fail, please back out".

I always thought they worked, I guess I figured if they worked when the headlights are off, why would they not work when the headlights are on.

Anyway, does anyone know why this may have happened? Maybe a fix, or maybe confirm that if the rear turn signals work when the headlights are on, I can just temp fix it by splicing the wires from the rear turn signals to power the LED turn signals in the front?

I only have to get this to pass isnpection so I can register it. I won't be wheeling it or driving it this month since I will basically be on block leave most of the month and then we leave, so I really just need to check the blocks on this thing and can really worry about it when I get back frmo overseas.

Thanks.
    Last edited by miljeep; 05-30-2009 at 20:14.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1986 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to make sure, what kind of amber lights did you add? If they are not turn signal lights, dual element, then that may be the problem. Some lights are running lights only.

If they are dual element, it may not be correctly wired for running lights and your turn signal.

If they are LEDs then that could be the same as the running lights only and you need to have something that will do the turn signal portion.

These are the easy things....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are like amber trailer marker lights. I got them at walmart for about 2 bucks each. I will check tomorrow and see if i can find some turn signal lights and just mount them for inspection. Thanks for the info.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im actually goin to splice a set in to mine tommorrow so I will tell u exactly wats up i have a feeling that the lights have two wires and you originally had three so the power wire needs ur blinker and ur running light wire hooked up.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not know how you hooked them up, but sounds like a wiring problem. Did you possibly use the headlight ground wire for your turn sig lights? Try isolating the ground to a new point by itself.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they also act like a marker light when the headlights are on? If so I am willing to bet that you either have a ground problem or your Flasher isn't heavy duty enough to handle the Led's. Led's for one reason or another require a little bit more better flasher (like the one under the dah in the fuse panel).
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They dont act as a marker light at all. I guess I have to get an actual LED turn signal light. Any cheap ones out there?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

walmart has cheap ones just picked up a set for ten a piece
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have to find a dual filament bulb. WTF? I am pretty sure Larry (ghost00tj) added LED turn signals to his jeep, I wonder if he has the same problem when he turns his headlights on.

I looked at wally world the other day and did not see any.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mine work i think urs are just missing the running light wire u need to splice the running light and blinker wire together

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

Sapper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast