2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default viking softtop

ok so i was pretty stoked when i got my viking fastback softtop and while ago. today i finally got my door surrounds i've been waiting for so i decided to put the top on. i managed to manhandle the hardtop off alone.(yeah im a beast. HAHAHA) anyway, after i got it off i put the smittybilt windshield channel on that viking recommended. started putting the top on, following the instructions to a T. as i got to the part where you put the front of the top in the windshield channel, i began having trouble. about that time a buddy of mine showed up and started helping as i could only reach half the windshield. after messing with it for a while we decided to try to just tighted the rest of the top down and maybe the front will fall into place, or at least become easier to get in. so i go to the next step in the instructions. tighted the center strap around the main roll bar and loop it to the footman loop on the windshield. as im doing this the strap actually ripped off the top. i was slightly upset. after sitting and thinking i decided to return the viking top and just put the stock soft top on. im not sure i liked the idea of not being able to take my top down when i want to anyway. as bad ass as that top looks its just not easy enough for ME to operate. haha i must be a moron i dont know. haha anyway, im by no means discouraging anyone from this product and i would probably just return the top and ask for a replacement but i want to be able to actually remove my top from above me and the stock softtop is ideal for that.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about what a pain in the arse it was, but better that others know that you had issues than to keep the problems to yourself.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1981 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Meade
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks. I decided to put the half top on yesterday too. took off the soft top and poles. then got the top on. One trick is to fasten the center strap and the 2 side straps lightly then put the front in the channel. Then since I have a party today I emptied the closet under the basement stairs to get to the rear seat so I could put that in for my daughter to sit on. That was fun. Later I find out she was going to drive separatly as she will more than likely stay over night. And when I checked the weather at 1130pm before bed it was all clear skys til Thursday. Now I see scattered storms in morning, but skys are clear. Apparently it rained one of them nice hard but short rains an hour or two ago - seats and all are soaked! Wife will just half to sit on a trash bag.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allium View Post
    That sucks. I decided to put the half top on yesterday too. took off the soft top and poles. then got the top on. One trick is to fasten the center strap and the 2 side straps lightly then put the front in the channel. Then since I have a party today I emptied the closet under the basement stairs to get to the rear seat so I could put that in for my daughter to sit on. That was fun. Later I find out she was going to drive separatly as she will more than likely stay over night. And when I checked the weather at 1130pm before bed it was all clear skys til Thursday. Now I see scattered storms in morning, but skys are clear. Apparently it rained one of them nice hard but short rains an hour or two ago - seats and all are soaked! Wife will just half to sit on a trash bag.

haha that sucks. i hate when people cant decide what the weather is gonna do. hahaha. i guess im just no good at the whole aftermarket windshield channel thing. seems like they could come up with an easier design.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    haha that sucks. i hate when people cant decide what the weather is gonna do. hahaha. i guess im just no good at the whole aftermarket windshield channel thing. seems like they could come up with an easier design.
    It would be nice if the companies would just use a similar latching system as the stock soft top.. that way you don't need to worry about windshield headers.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    It would be nice if the companies would just use a similar latching system as the stock soft top.. that way you don't need to worry about windshield headers.
    haha my thoughts exactly.