Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NOT the end of WFTW!!!!!

I just sent the following email to all the WFTW event host clubs. It's not really a huge shock to them that the program is ending because I gave them a heads up a few weeks ago that things were looking pretty bleak. I'm posting this here because I felt that you all (since you're all military personnel) deserved to know why it's ending prior to the current schedule of events.

First, as some of you may have noticed, I deleted the WFTW MySpace page the other day. This was a no-brainer. I posted a bulletin on there weeks back stating the program was dangerously close to ending and some donations would go a long way. Out of the over 1,550 "friends" on that page, I received two donations for a few bucks each. Obviously the MySpace thing was a big waste of time, so I got rid of it.

At any rate, the program is over. I can no longer keep going. I have less than $300 to my name. Fortunately, the Virginia event host club raised some funds and paid my Jeep payment for May, otherwise my Jeep would have been taken by the bank in June. I told you all a few weeks ago that I had no money to pay for that and I wasn't joking. I'll never be able to thank them enough.

The nail in the coffin is that I have a bad tooth (molar) that's killing me and I can't even afford to go to the dentist because I have no insurance. I sprained my ankle about a month ago and couldn't go to the doctor because of the same reason. I'm surviving off the cheapest foods I can find (usually sandwiches and hotdogs). As thin as I was when I began the trip (6 foot, 155 pounds), I've even lost weight. This is no way to live. I have to take care of myself and haven't been able to do so.

Currently, I'm staying with a friend in Nevada. This is a very good thing because it's not costing me anything and he's letting me stay here for a few more days until I have to drive up to the Rubicon event. By my estimates I have just enough money for gas for that event. The host of the Reno event is giving me a free room, and given its close proximity to the Rubicon event, I might be able to make that one as well. After that, I won't even have enough gas money to get me back to Florida.

Because of this, I will end the program there and return to my friend's place where he said I can rent a room from him for cheap. I'll then get some random job to get me back on my feet and hopefully keep the Jeep from being repossessed by the bank.

I hope you all know that I did everything I could to keep this going. I've worked on this program non-stop, every day since February 2007. For it to have to end early sickens me. I know many of you have put in numerous hours, so I'm disappointed in myself for letting you all down. I'm sorry. Despite my failure, I will sleep fine at night because I know that it was worth the effort. Broke or not, those we honored deserved the chances I took.

Certainly you all who have events planned may continue them if you so choose to do so. I know first hand that this program works, so it would be good if our country's wounded service members could attend an event I know a lot of them have been looking forward to...only, it will be in memory of an organization that is no longer up and running.

I'm not writing this email to you all in order to get money from you. I don't want any. The economy is in shambles, you all have families to support, and you should put that money towards them rather than trying to get me from event to event. I never expected any of you to pony up the cash to keep the program going...I expected corporate America to do that for us...they chose not to, so it's that's that.

For the rest of today I will be emailing the program's sponsors to let them know that this is over. I'll then explain it to various other people who have been helping me out with accomplishing various tasks. I'll then have to tell my family, as well as explain to them they won't be seeing me for quite some time yet...not looking forward to that conversation at all.

The last order of business will be the forum and website. I will delete all the forums sometime around the Reno event, if not before. You all who still want to take wounded service members out for a weekend of fun don't really need that forum anyway. As for the website itself, I'll most likely delete that around the same timeframe. I would just delete it now, but I want to keep it up a bit longer so that you all who want to continue with your event will still have a little more exposure. As I've been doing, I'll keep forwarding you all the emails I get pertaining to people wanting to attend and/or help out with those events still being planned.

For those of you no longer wanting to hold your planned event, please let me know and I'll delete it from the schedule ASAP.

Thanks for everything you all have done. If you feel I've let you down, I apologize...just know that whatever ill will you have towards me for failing doesn't even hold a candle to the way I feel about myself right now.

Jason
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bro, don't be too hard on yourself. What you did was a wonderful thing and even though you couldn't carry on with all of the events, think of the lives that you were able to touch. I'm sure that they will remember what you did for the rest of their lives. You reached out and took a chance to give something back to those who have given a lot. As far as ill will, I can gaurantee you won't find any here.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason,
    I am so very sorry to hear this Brother. The work and dedication you have put into this project has been an amazing tribute to all of those fortunate enough to serve or have served. Hold your head up high and walk proud as you have put EVERYTHING on the line to do what is right and honor our brothers. I know that you asked for us NOT to donate, but that just wouldn't work for me Bro. It isn't much, but you can add another $100 to your net worth...you now have slightly less than $400 to your name Bro. I am sorry that I can't do more right now. You have taken care of our brothers...there is no shame in allowing some of your brothers to help a little bit in helping now.
    Semper Fi Bro!
    Jeff
    PS. I CHALLENGE ALL MJ MEMBERS TO GO TO THE WFTW SITE AND DONATE AT LEAST ONE DOLLAR TO HELP JASON...THEY WILL ADD UP IF WE ALL MAKE AN EFFORT! http://www.wheelersforthewounded.com/
    Last edited by USMCHarleyJeepGuy; 06-01-2009 at 14:29.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jason, just sent you $100 through PayPal as well. Please keep us posted and I also think what you have done and continued to try an do was a great effort and deserving of our support. If by chance the program continues and you make it as far as Fort Lewis we can take care of you here. If not I understand.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

done. And jason as far as im concerned the Va event will still go on. I will do my best with Jeepinsoldier to keep this event lined up. Also you are more then welcome to attend lol it will still be your event. And you have room and board in va at my place for as long as you need it. Im local to the md, va, and nj event if they all choose to continue i can put you up for all three. Im at furthest 3.5hrs from the Nj event 2.5 to the md and va event. And there all back to back. I hope you take me up on this offer.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jersey event you'll be taken care of. not sure where you did it in MD, but if I can help you got it. Mi casa es su casa dude.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its at greenridge I will be attending this event as well so he can crash at my place or my rents place which is about hour and a halfy
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, you have done a great job and I am sorry to hear that it is ending
    Stickers

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 2000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, you've put in a ton of work. Nothing to feel bad about, major Kudo's for all the time, effort, energy, blood, sweat, and tears you have expended.

We just enlisted the MTA (Military Transport Assocaition, restored military vehicles) to help with the Jersey event. It's still happening.
    Dan M.

'85 CJ-7, 4.0L,T18,4.10s,35s,Fully locked,winch,cage

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright so va and jersey are still on jason we got a place for you to stay and a fundraiser this weekend.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

Sapper

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast