Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rollover prevention

This was posted on a local forum. It's a Rubi rollover from last weekend.

http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/...Rollmovie.html

I'd like to see discussion so that I might learn and perhaps alter my CJ-7 build as needed:

1. Rollover Cause? Choosing the wrong line of approach? COG? Appropriate tires for the terrain?

2. How would you prevent this from happening once forward momentum is lost?

3. Accessories that would have helpe to prevent: Lockers? What else?

4. Cage importance in this rollover?

5. What else can be done to minimize the possibility of a rollover in this instance?

6. What safety measures do you notice that were used or missed?

All comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by jeepfever; 06-01-2009 at 18:37.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about the video of the rubi that rolled sideways down the hill... arms hanging out the window, dog in the back, helicopter towards the end?

1. If so... That was pretty much operator error. For some reason he hit the brakes, when he went to accelerate up the hill he rolled backwards just enough for the passenger rear tire to hit a rock and the driver rear tire to hit a rut. Slid sideways and it was over.

2. Didn't see any way he could prevent it once he slid back.

3. Lockers, maybe lower gear ratio.

4. I don't think the stock cage is really meant to take the abuse of rolling multiple times down the mountain. Should be on everyone's mind as a safety mod if you get in those positions.

5. lower cog, wider axles, stinger, pay attention to what you're doing.

6. Poor dog, that thing was rolling around in there the whole time. When I do have my dog with me, she's belted in pretty good to help prevent that. I also don't bring her on rough trails where I know there's the possibility of a roll over.
    Harnesses... the people were thrown around in there pretty good too. Even with their seat belts on, that one should harness isn't going to work well if you're flopping down like that.
    Hand placement.... both the driver and passengers arms went out the windows. If you start rolling, grab your shoulders and don't let go until you stop.

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Are you talking about the video of the rubi that rolled sideways down the hill... arms hanging out the window, dog in the back, helicopter towards the end?
    Yeah, that's the one. I forgot to add the link.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1981 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Meade
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like he was taking a slightly different line then every one else. They ran the ruts on the straight where he was partly on the hump halfway up the straight. He also seemed to cut higher to the left as he made the turn, the others took wider by a foot, so he lost traction but rather than skinny pedel he almost shifted gears? and slid back. as long as he was moving he should have kept going maybe he could have taken it. I dont have lockers so I dont know if he had them or was using them I just know I got to keep it moving

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't really see what he could of have done differently. Notice the left rear tire dropped and that really started the chain. EXCEPT, that passinger did keep trying to grap the outside of the top for support. Big no, no, but I've seen it many times that folks forget to keep all parts indoors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cage importance was crucial for those folks. They had a nice aftermarket one. I told Jen that she's not going with me until we get a nice cage in the CJ. That little bar will not do shit if I flip it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they tried to follow some Cherokees!

Seriously though,

Being a Rubi, it has lockers, and a 4:1 low range,

The COG is a bit high, and having stuff stacked above the spare doesn't help.

The only thing I see that would have prevented it, was to not roll back so far/so fast.

It was like he pushed in the clutch, without holding the brakes.

Camera angles lie, the hill is much steeper than it appears, and once the trail turned, he was off camber. (bad line?)

Combine that with the rear tire dropping into the hole on the driver side, and the passenger rear tire hitting the rock and bumping that side up, boom.

He should have held his position after losing forward momentum (if it was possible, that looks like some lose rocky terrain) and gotten a strap or a spotter.

Glad everyone was OK, bummer about the Jeep.
    Last edited by HillBillE; 06-01-2009 at 21:21.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he had lockers, the rear didn't appear to be engaged from watching the video. It didn't look like both rears were pulling once the drivers wheel broke traction a little. Are we sure the heep was a Rubi...I watched it full screen and didn't see and markings and the stock rear flares didn't look to be any wider than a stock TJ, unlike the Rubi's wider flares.

Rolling back so far and fast made a bad line really worse...glad they are ok.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1987

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the cooler was what caused it. It was mounted too high, always keep your cooler low and full so it does not slosh around and create noise and waves causing your COG to shift.

Seriously, a lot of good advice already, and I too am glad they were not injured more than they were. The Passenger's arm was deadly close to getting smashed on at least the first roll.

If you go back and watch it again and notice when the driver first backed up, he turned his wheels to the right, placing him sideways to the hill. That in combination with the rear tire falling in to the hole is what cause the roll to start. Like mentioned before, I don't think it was locked, and he had a bad line and that might be where the trouble started.

You can buy wheel spacers, and those few inches help out more than one might think, but, I'm not sure they would have helped in this case. This is why folks often use wider axles on off-road rigs.

No matter what you do to your rig, you will always stand a chance of rolling in the right or wrong situation. I know of two Rubi's that rolled or flopped in the last month, probably because of bad lines. I guess having a trail guide or spotter at each point of danger would help out a great deal in cases like this. Perhaps one at the turning point watching their line of approach would have been better.
    These pretzels ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!~~

www.christiancrawlers4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when ever we go on rides we always have a trail guide and a spotter. And even then u risk the chance of rolling just ask WES19D
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast