Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cant decide..

Always swore if and when i got a wrangler i was gonna paint it good ole willys style... So now the question is do i go with the flat olive drab (which would could be done by me obviously) or do i let a shop put a nice semi glossy/ glossy olive drab on it. or should i let a shop do a flat one as well... anyone got an idea how much i can expect to spend letting a shop do it?
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude,
    Do it yourself, always. I painted my first vehicle when I was 16 and learned a lot. After you have done it once you can always do it again.

If you want some practice first try to find a buddy with an old ratty trailer or beater car and practice on it first. Use the same paint you are planning to paint your heep with and experiment a little bit. Find out from the paint vendor how much they reccomend to thin the paint and any special tips they might have for the specific paint that you are planning on using.

If you have a clean dry air source, a paint sprayer, some sand paper, tack cloth, bondo and spot putty to fill any door dings, a mask (good one), and some time you can probably have you rig painted for around $300.00 yourself with left over materials to do any touchups.

If you dont have a place to do it or any of the tools you can usually rent a paint booth from any nearby paintshop for about $75 a day. Do all your prep work at the house and then take it to the paint booth, wipe it down real good and spray away.

If you have your own shop area make sure to put as much light in the place as possible, once the paint starts spraying it starts getting pretty dark in there and the shadows start making stuff look alot different. Another at home paintbooth trick is to spray the walls and the floors down real gooe with water before you start, it helps keep the dust out of the air and out of your wet paint.

If you really wanna be redneck just spray it outside. Be aware that you will probably have to stand guard and pick dying bugs out of your new paint job (ask me how I know).

All in all, painting your vehicle yourself is a great learning experience and you won't have to worry about any scratches while wheeling. Just repaint it every few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i considered doing this... i was gonna do this to my motorcycle as well
    http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html ive read and talked to a couple guys who have done it with decent results
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Is scrounging for parts dmaxjeep's Avatar
    Arlington, VA - Silver Spring, MD / AL / MDW

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try this stuff.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

its real easy to use. I saw in on Gearz or maybe Trucks when Stacey David was on it... at any rate, I used it on my old Jeep, came out real good. and, you can get it at just about any parts store now.

its a laquer paint with a clear as well. they even have candyapple now.

however, they may not have it in OD green...
    Last edited by dmaxjeep; 06-04-2009 at 12:11.
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat. No gloss.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.

Guile and Violence of Action.

Quote Originally Posted by hely74 View Post
    Of course violence is always a good contingency plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    When these ass monkeys come for mine they better have more people than I have rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    And I quote - "I have to agree with Walter"

Like a Dirty Dozen for the price of one...

http://www.ventureteamshootingsports.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote for flat.
    -Shane

-1969 CJ-5

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the tj willys edition. the way that jeep painted it pretty nice, although i wish it was more OD. the soft top's color is nice though. check out my pics to see- the paint is a slight gloss but hard as nails.