1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wheeling Etiquette

I thought I would start a thread talking about wheeling etiquette in general. This is not being pointed at anyone but ratehr towards "newbies" on trail rides for the first or second time. Everyone fell free to post etiquette items you think of as this is for the best of all.

First and formost is always TREAD LIGHTLY! Even when 2 groups meet face to face and one decide to give way it does not mean you can plow over living trees to "make" a trail so the other group can get by.

When following behind someone in a group leave ample room for them to manuver. If they need to back up allow them room to do so, if the need to throttle and spin tires aloow them to do so.

When wheeling with a group you should meet the minumums of having tow points front and rear, having a tow strap WITHOUT metal hooks, and have a CB

If you want to play around in an area no one else does TELL them so they know to wait and get out to watch.

do your best to not get seperated from the group. If Seperated call on the CB abd try to explain what you did and where your at
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1980 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When in a group always keep the vehicle behind you in sight. No one gets left behind.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people follow to close behind me. I'm out there to enjoy the day, not worry if you're going to drive into the back of me if I have to stop quickly.

Also, if the sun's going down and you're not the trail leader... don't have your 5x 100w hella lamps turned on. I can't see, and will more than likely get out and commence to ripping them off your rig 1 at a time till you figure it out

Wait to get drunk till we're off the trail for the day.

If you're in a group and there's a rig or two closing in behind you, wait till there's an area to pull out of the way, and let them pass.
    Same goes if you see a group coming towards you in the opposite direction, once you find a place to pull over, pull over and let them pass.

If your junk breaks down on the trail, don't block the trail while you're replacing a busted u joint or whatever breaks that day.

Have a good working rig. Go over it before you go out on a trip. If you were to lazy to grease joints, check fluids, look at your u joints, don't expect to hold the whole group up while you try to fix something that could have easily been taken care of the night before.

If your rig does break, don't expect someone else to fix it for you. Expect to do the work yourself while someone's teaching you how to do it.

Pick up your trash. If you smoke, don't leave your butt's on the trail.

Make sure you bring everything you need for the trip. For instance... don't show up to a multi-day ride with a bottle of water and some trail mix and hope to grab left overs from everyone else.
    Another note on multi day trips.... don't wash your dishes next to my tent. I don't like going for my 3am pee to find a black bear eating the scraps of chicken and onions that was cleaned off your dishes right behind my tent.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are the ones that stick out off the top of my head
    Last edited by Jeffb_79; 06-17-2009 at 22:05.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1981 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Meade
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patience - everyone was a noob once and not everyone is Mr Goodwrench.
    Have a clear idea of what the group is going to do before hitting the trail so may not want to do blacks with the DD and a trail buggy maybe bored doing greens. Better to split into two smaller groups.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as said before pack it in pack it out.

Full size spare
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha some of those are funny cause they are so true. I remember someone running in to the back of ryan one day. And riding around all day with his kc lights on lol. And there is always several people that show up with out enough food.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with splitting groups. If you are new or inexperianced don't try to run trails with guys who have been wheeling thier whole lives. If you have a stock or near stock rig don't try to wheel with heavily modded jeeps. If you are in a FULLSIZE Chevy 2500 don't try to wheel with Jeeps!!

Basicly know your rig, know your capabilities, and if you don't trust what others tell you
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Seymour Johnson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the importance of not having hooks on your tow straps? (referencing first post)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1980 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spectac View Post
    what is the importance of not having hooks on your tow straps? (referencing first post)
    If something snaps it becomes a projectile.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spectac View Post
    Straps are dangerous enough if they snap. Add a 5lb steel hook to the end of it and it's even more dangerous.
    There's plenty of video out there of straps breaking and the hook going straight through one of the vehicles.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast