Serving
    Served
    1989 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NUTS! (lug type...)

So I have standard steel wheels on my new '09 JK, with the horrendus stock 225-R75-16 tires...

I picked up some sweet flat-black Pro-Comp wheels from a dude off JKForum ($600 for 4 of them)...

On April 15, I took advantage of the 'tax-free day' at 4WD.com, and ordered some 265-R75-16 Pro-Comp Xtreme Terrains, for a decent tax free, no shipping (in store pick up) out the door cost of $695. I drive the 2.5 hours to San Diego to get them mounted and balanced ($50 extra) and I run into 'issues'

First, since moronic soccer mom's in Ford Explorers cant check their tire pressure, Congress mandated the dreaded Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) on 2007+ vehicles, that adds about $10-15 per wheel for the rebuild.

Next, they say I need different lug nutz for the new alloys- the stock nuts won't work. No problem. Until...

They have only CHROME lug nuts, and they are $40 a set. Bear in mind my wheels are flat black- yeah it's insignificant cosmetics, but I dont want chrome lug nuts on my flat black wheels, it just looks ghey when I picture it in my head.

So my 'good deal' for a cool set of tires is now approaching $900, with the warranty and mount/balance, TPMS re-build, etc.. My budget- from my tax refund of $2700- was about $850, and I already dropped $600 on the wheels themselves.

QUESTION; Do I need 'special' lug nutz? How are they identified? Monster has some slick BLACK lug nuts, but before I get em, I wanna be certain they are what will work for my alloys. Also- how do I know what size to get? I don't believe there is a 'standard' size...

I have done many other wheel/tire swaps on my 3 YJ's, but the JK is a new (and NOT fun) deal with different wheel sizes (16"-18"), TPMS, and a 5x5 bolt pattern (vice the decades old 5x4.5...).

Thanks for your advice!
    I am NOT a psycho killer!! I'm a United States Marine! Okay, I'm a psycho killer...
    "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
    -Ronald Reagan

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how it would make using the lugs different with the new wheel setup. I used my OEM lugs until my black ones from RockRatz showed up. Size should be the same as the YJ/TJ 1/2" 20 thread.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The RockRatz are pretty much EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Are you getting the locking set as well? Seems like small price ($10 ea) for insuring a couple hundred bucks per wheel/tire...
    I am NOT a psycho killer!! I'm a United States Marine! Okay, I'm a psycho killer...
    "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
    -Ronald Reagan

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are differences in lug nuts. Most, but not all, steel wheels use a lug that is slightly more narrow at the base, most alloy and aluminum wheels are a but more rounded. You can use them on either wheel but, using a steel wheel lug on aluminum can damage the wheel. The pointier end will vibrate and wallow the hole. When I ran an auto center I saw this many times, usually from people that were too damn cheap to buy the right ones. If you are using a steel wheel for a spare keep a set of the old lugs, using the more rounded ones can cause the lug to not seat properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a parts shop that supplies fix-it places around the area and spent about 20-30 minutes figuring out what lugs to get when I had my spacer/adapters on the Jeep. They had black ones, but they were TWICE as much, so I just got the 'half' lugs and called it a day.