1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default control arm question

how much longer than stock should the control arms be for a 3.5" lift on a TJ?

reason for the question is I put a 3.5" RE lift on and have adjustable control arms ordered.
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kind of drive shaft are you running?
    depending on the type of drive shaft you'll need to adjust your control arms to change your pinion angle. If you're running a cv type shaft, you'll want your pinion pointing directly at the output of your t-case... maybe 1* down from that.
    If you're running a non-cv style shaft, you'll want the pinion angle to be parallel to the output of the t-case.
    Here's a good example that shows the different types of shafts and the angles they should be set at:
    http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

and here's a good writeup that shows how to adjust pinion angles:
    http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm

the easiest way I've found is to measure your pinion angle before removing your stock control arms. Your stock lowers and adj lowers will probably be the same length with 3.5" of lift. Adjust your uppers out to move the pinion up, or in to move the pinion down.

If you get driveline vibes when at highway speed, you'll want to re-adjust until they go away.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am running about 3-3.5 inches of lift on my TJ. I have a non cv driveshaft. I didn't need to do anything to the rear arms. I had to get longer lowers for the front. The castor angle on the front was off, contributing to the DW I was experiencing. I will look around, but I think the front castor needs to be between 5-7 degrees positive (lower ball joints more forward of the uppers).
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.