1990 to Present

Closest Installation

Whiteman AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steering Play

Ok I read in the install that you can have up to 25* of movement from left to right on the wheel. I've been told the U-joints on the TJ wear out causing more. Checked those and they are tight. What next? I have about 90* back and forth and the box is tight. I just had it apart to inspect it. Anyone care to shed some inspection light on me? I have the itch to drive my rig it hasn't been out on a trail since Memorial Day week-end. Tie rod ends and steering rod ends have less than 200 miles on them.

The Little TJ That Did

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default steering prob.

I have a 97 TJ I had a lot of steering play, my gear box started leaking. when I replaced it my jeep drove like new.

Justin

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I get a little steering play, it usually ends up being a lack of grease in the steering components. Sounds like you've got more play than a little though.

Are you running the stock steering?

TheRo0sTer's Designs TheRo0sTer's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Closest Installation

Whiteman AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang I forgot about this thread. The problem was in the "How To" I was following when I rebuilt the box. They say to torque it and then back it off slightly. If your box is used I recommend the following step. This is due to the fact that you can not compensate for thrust washer wear. None of the seal kits called "Complete Seal Kit" contained anything other than the seals. So unless you have new thrust washers follow the steps below.

Tighten the sector shaft retaining nut to 25lbs - rotate the shaft and check for play in/out and side/side - the shaft should rotate but not have play - if to tight back the retaining nut until you spin the sector shaft spins with some effort with little to no slop - if not

Tighten the sector shaft retaining nut to 30lbs - rotate the shaft and check for play in/out and side/side - the shaft should rotate but not have play - if to tight back the retaining nut until you spin the sector shaft spins with some effort with little to no slop - if not

Tighten the sector shaft retaining nut to 35lbs - rotate the shaft and check for play in/out and side/side - the shaft should rotate but not have play - if to tight back the retaining nut until you spin the sector shaft spins with some effort with little to no slop - if not

Torque it again until you get the feel you are looking for without a ton of play.