Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just a question on an engine swap

Hey people,
    I just a a question for you guys(and girls). I found a 1975 cadillac elderado convertible for $300. I still have yet to hear back from the seller about it's mechanical condition, but the ad says it's rusted out. My question is this; What kind of work do you think it would take to squeeze the 500cid engine into my YJ? I found a sight with the universal engine swap kit, but I'm wondering about the room in the engine bay. I did a search and found the engine weighs about the same as a sbc 350 due to the aluminum block. I know that some of the waggys with the BOP th400 trans will bolt up to it. I just need to hear some advice from you engine guys out there. Thanks.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well it would take some work but you can cut some firewall and fender-well and build your own motor mounts and im sure it will turn out really cool...

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hum unless i really hit a time warp but cads 500 in 75 sure did not have a alum block. that engine should weigh in around 400-450 mattering on accessories. it is a great engine for torque. pull stumps right out of the ground with the tree still attached.

you should be able to mount it with any big block swap kit that covers BOP. Also I would think about a built th 350 for it instead of the 400. With a lil work the th350 can handle that sort of engine and wont suck half the hp that a th 400 does. Plus the th350 is physically smaller and can be mounted higher up between the frame rails then a th400, also has a smaller pan to armor then the 400.

the 2 spots you will run into room issues will possibly be the dist/firewall and water pump/radiator. the dist is usually handled with a small cap conversion and a lil massage from a BFH and there are alot of low profile room saving water pumps electric or mechanical that should do the job.

With that much room sucked up in the engine bay I would consider adding a hi vol water pump/thermostat when you set that up along with some hood vents to let that heat out
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. Maybe I read the article wrong about the weight. I am just throwing around the idea for now. I know that engine makes monstrous power in stock mode. Money is always a factor, so I'll have to compile a grocery list before I think about buying the caddy.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throw some 60's under the caddy and cut the top off. Call it a Jeep and be done.

I grew up in Alabama, don't hold it against me.

Second thought, Rockwells would be better.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you decide to roll with this swap...make sure you keep the pics posted and updated. I'd love to follow the build.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B