User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating debating need some advice.!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Debating debating need some advice.!

I got a nice 07JK 2 1/2inch sky jacker lift 35 12.50 all terrain goodrichs and a HARD top have an offer to get rid of it and get a soft top but i am PCSing to Colorado so snow and a soft top? Never had to experience a soft top in snow so whats the good word??

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my tj is an 05' and has been a michigan truck its whole life i never had a hardtop, but my buddie did on his 06' rubicon and it was TONZ better in the snow and cold, at -10 even with the heat on high the whole time, it never gets warm with a soft top. but atleast with the hardtop you can feel your fingers and toes after a 30min drive. also we did a little "diy insulation" because it was down to -20 and we wanted atleast one "warm" vehicle and in colorado i could amagine how cold it gets.

Whiskey Tango Fox-Trot! Scottie's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 97 has been a Western/Upstate NY rig with only a soft top.... never had any issues, just takes longer to warm up inside!
    Scottie
    To my fellow Veterans that served and protected our country thank you. To those who live on our shores and continue to disrespect our history... leave.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same as above... It takes long to get warm but i love going on snow runs in the jeep and its a soft-top. just keep a jacket and gloves under the seat for those extra cold days...

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All three of my Jeeps have some sort of dual tops. I like the hard top for winter (I'm in NY) for the snow. Personally I don't like the weight of the snow sitting on a soft top.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1987 to 2013

Closest Installation

NAS JRB Fort Worth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kept my hard top.....I leave it on for the highway/winter...take it off for everything else. It's kinda nice to take the top off after winter...kinda like ushering in the new season.

HOOYAH!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My '02 TJ only has a soft top and has been fine in Colorado since 2003. Keep in mind that Fort Carson does not get a lot of snow and it is powder other than if we get an early October or late Spring storm which will be heavier. The only thing to be careful with is don't try to unzip your windows when it is 20 degrees out. The plastic gets real stiff and can crack. I found investing in the Bestop upper door sliders (I have half doors) makes all the differance it making getting through the gate, ATM machine and drive through so much easier int he winter time.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My '01 has had nothing but a soft top and has been in Philadelphia/Trenton area the whole time. I haven't had any issues the entire time. Heat in that thing is too much for me, I usually turn the fan all the way down and the temp also.

X2 watch the temp with the plastic windows. I use a squeegie for the side and back windows to clear off ice and snow. Never use an ice scraper.

'01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my 02 TJ for years in Germany with no real issues. The windows get a little brittle when cold and crack and break easily. I have never had an issue with heat. The heater in my Jeep would boil you out in short order.

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by 68CJ View Post
    same as above... It takes long to get warm but i love going on snow runs in the jeep and its a soft-top. just keep a jacket and gloves under the seat for those extra cold days...
    X2 I always pack a Jacket and gloves even in the fall and spring. I take all the windows out of my YJ in the spring and don't put them back until late fall. And for those who know YJ's the heater couldn't melt a snowball on a summer day....LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast