Served
    Served
    2000 to 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default carburetors trouble

Ok I have an 1987 jeep wrangler YJ and love it. I have a problem now with the carb and the butterfly stands straight up and down and not going down to stop the coke. It keeps getting to much air and I found a choke theromstat and woundered if it would fix the problem. Thanks Kasper80nar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stock carb? (Carter BBD) Get rid of it

Seroiusly, doing the MC2100 swap/upgrade will do wonders for it.

But if you can't swing that right now, here's some other tips:

Nutter bypass: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/

Clean the idle tubes: http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277064

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're describing. Is the choke not working? Sounds like it's stuck open. (top butterfly)

Or is the throttle not working? (bottom butterfly)

Once warmed up, the choke should be open, and the throttle plate closed (at idle)

If the choke needs to be closed partially (1/4 way or more)for it to run, there's other problems. Possibly the idle tubes.

Hope this helps! HB

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to try the cleaning ideal tubes out. you have to close the top butterfly 1/2 way to 3/4 the way to get it to run right and have not tryed with it driving...dont want to dive down the road with the hood up and someone over the motor lol..... Thanks and plan on replacing it in the future but want to drive it till then too.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next thing is maybe do a rebuild on the carb, (I concur with HillBillE) upfit to a MC2100, or Weber 34/36. Find one, install it, drive to your hearts content.

If your YJ's been sitting, a dose of carb cleaner down the throats of the carb might help, just be careful where ever else you spray. The cleaner does a great job 'cleaning', like the outside of the carb, gaskets, and 'melting' rubber lines/hoses/o-rings.

Later, T.J.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sounds like a plan

I bought the jeep from a guy who had it a year and drove it one time. Other than that its been sitting. I am trying the carb cleaner in it and going to try cleaning the tubes. I am just hoping to get it running so I can be driveing my jeep while I am getting the new carb. Thanks for all the help

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After sitting for a year, the gas that was in it probably turned to 'turpentine'

Some carb spray and cleaning the idle tubes should get ya rolling for now.

When you close the choke that much, it's the vacuum of the motor 'pulling' gas through the carb, and not the carb working the way it should.

A good cleaning should fix that. Good luck!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove it a little bit before all this started and thats what I did was put about 1/2 a can in there and let it sit over night and will check it when I get home to see if it works. Just did not know if there was something else that I could do. Thanks everyone for your help. And this site is cool as hell.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ok going crazy

I have now cleaned the ideal tubes out, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and still not working....it ideals great unit it gets warm and it will drive just fine again till it gets warm and then cuts out. I am lost 100% now any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by kasper80nar; 07-10-2009 at 10:09.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if it runs and drives good until it gets hot it sounds like your choke is not working properly. Do these checks:

1. With the engine cold ( been off all night) depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor 1 time to reset the automatic choke if you have that, or for a manual choke push/pull the choke cable to close the butterflies. Then look at the carb and make sure that the choke butterflies are closed almost completely (there will be just a small gap, this is normal). If the choke is closed then run your engine at idle with the air cleaner removed, watch the butterflies as the engine heats up and with an automatic choke it should slowly open within after a few minuets. If the choke dosnt open then you need to make sure that you have 12VDC going to the choke spring housing (that voltage is what warms the choke spring and makes it open) make sure you are looking for voltage from the wire not the spring housing. If there is 12VDC +/- .5V then your problem is more that likely you choke spring.

2. Another issue could be your float inside the bowl of the carb. If that is sticking it may shut off the fuel supply. This would require a partial rebuild to fix this.

I hope this helps you out, If you have any other questions shoot me an e-mail or a PM. I have a ton of knowledge in engine performance.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kasper80nar View Post
    I have now cleaned the ideal tubes out, new fuel filter
    What type of fuel filter did you install?

If it's a single inlet /duel outlet filter, ensure that on the outlet end - the center tube goes to the carb, and the 'outside' tube is in the 12 o'clock position. Otherwise you might be incurring vapor lock.

If that's not the problem, then head to the parts store and purchase a carb rebuilt kit (there should be a plate on the carb with model/type numbers - write down the info and take it with you), and lots of carb cleaner - at least 3 cans and some quality shop towels, (the blue roll I think Scott towels are nice). Maybe stop by the local pharmacy and pickup a new toothbrush, (use your one one at home for removing old grime from the carb), and a small bag of pipe cleaners, (they are great for getting into those hard to reach places, and cleaning out tubes).

That's all for now. Good luck!

Later, T.J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast