Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XJ Front Axle in a TJ

I am putting a 1999 XJ cherokee High Pinion front axle in my 2005 TJ unlimited. Any body do this? what should I replace on the axle other than gears. It has been suggested I swap out the axles and outer "C"s from my TJ front axle to the XJ Axle. I will be going to Hub lockouts and better axles when the Warn kit is available again with 5 on 5 1/2" wheels. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, a 1990 XJ Dana 30, while high pinion, is a CAD (central axle disconnect) so it's not really an upgrade from your '05 Dana 30 unless you swap your TJ axle shafts into your XJ housing. Your spindles are the same as the XJ one unless. Unless your XJ knuckles have a higher tie-rod end position, there is no reason to spend the time swapping them from axle to axle. As far as gears, it would depend on what kind of wheeling/driving you do. IIRC, the steepest gear set you can get for a HP D30 is 4.88s. Is that going to be enough gear for your wheeling/driving/tire size?

The Dana 30 can be upgraded into a decent and dependable axle. A lot of people dog on them, but I ran my '04 TJ Dana 30, with 4.56s, OX Locker, Warn manual hub kit, and 37" MTRs without any issues. If it's upgraded smartly and beefed where needed, the axle will serve you for a number of years.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you get it out of a 99 or 90 XJ? The 99-01 XJs had a LP D30. The D30 MAY be a disco, it may not. If it is 90, swap your TJ shafts into it (disco or not) as they have better u joints. If you use the knuckles from the 90 axle, you need to use the brake rotors and calipers. If it's from a 99, then it doesn't matter, as its all the same.

I was doing some research on the Warn hub kit, and decided that if I was going to drop 900 on it, then I might as well start a build on a waggy 44. I wouldn't drop that much cash into a D30 (just my opinion). Are you going with a full time or selectable locker? If so, install SAME time as gears. Saves money. I also suggest Alloy USA tube seals. It helps keep mud and water from getting into the axle tubes. Other than that, it's a direct swap. Let me know if you have any other questions, as I have done this swap before.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want lockouts don't bother with the warn kit... you can get reid racing flat top 44 knuckles that are built to work with the dana 30... and then install real dana 44 outers on that... potentially cheaper and stronger

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XJ Front Axle

I got the axle out of a 1999 XJ and it is a HP and no D/C on the long side of the axle. This axle has some kind of plastic seal in the ends of the axle tube, you can see them sticking out of the axle.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Quote Originally Posted by GunsUp View Post
    if you want lockouts don't bother with the warn kit... you can get reid racing flat top 44 knuckles that are built to work with the dana 30... and then install real dana 44 outers on that... potentially cheaper and stronger
    Concur
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The plastic thing is a ring on the axle shaft. It is supposed to help keep mud out of the tube, doesn't work that well. Since it came out of a 99, it should be a direct swap into your 05. Keep your TJ shafts as spares though.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are pulling the shafts anyway, clean the tubes and put some Superior axle seals on it at the same time. They keep the crud out of mine pretty damn well.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B