1984 to 2005

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clutch?

I am experiencing grinding (no it's not my arthritis) when the tranny is in neutral and at an idle but not when I push the clutch pedal in. Also a loud pitched whine / growl in 1st, 2d, and 3d but all is quiet in 4th. I am thinking throwout bearing and/or pilot bushing. Any ideas or similar experiences out there?
    81 CJ7, 30 over 258, did the Weber thing now I'm going with a Howell injection kit, 2.5 lift, SRS, and the all important M998 instrument panel with Equus gages. Also have a 71 AMC 360 to rebuild when I kill the 258.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by texascj View Post
    I am thinking throwout bearing and/or pilot bushing. Any ideas or similar experiences out there?
    Same experience with the wife's S-10. It ended up being the throwout bearing.
    How many miles/abuse , on the clutch system? I had a Borg & Beck design clutch on my CJ and installed a Centerforce II clutch kit (when I swapped out the T-150 for a NP 435), and I'm Very happy with pedal feel, clutch grabbing/holding ability.

Later, T.J.

(I would love to see pics of your CJ dash .)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time your throwout bearing had any kind of load on it will be when the clutch pedal is depressed to the floor. Using that logic I will say that your problem is most likely the pilot bearing in the rear of your engines crank shaft. My second bet would say the front main bearing in the transmission is going out but 9 times out of ten it is your pilot bearing. In most cases the bearing isn't actually a bearing, instead most pilot bearings are just a brass bushing. You can replace it with a high quality roller bearing design that will most likely out live your jeep.

Alot of times the brass pilot bearing is either totally wallowed out from years of dirt and grime spinning around in there or it has spun inside the crankshaft, in which case make sure your replacement bearing has a good smooth clean surface to rest in during replacement.

Let us know what you come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Experienced General Ass

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think the throw out bearing has pressure as soon as it makes contact. The pilot bearing should make the same noise in all gears as should the throw out bearing.

Hearing the noise at idol, push clutch in until it goes away. should go away pretty quick.