2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my jeeps ****ing up HELP ME

i have a 1996 cherokee xj and i love it but for some reason it wont start sometimes and it sometimes stalls out on me. I have to chill for a bit and let it cool down with the hood open in order to get it running again i think it might be a temperature sensor but which one. I do know taht the crank sensor is bad could that be whats stopping it from starting???

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki628 View Post
    I do know taht the crank sensor is bad could that be whats stopping it from starting???

Yes. How do you know it's bad?
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My CPS was bad and it would start most of the time, but it would start to stall out and was not in any kind of shape to get me to work and back.

I may be wrong, but does the replacing of the CPS require the timing to changed or checked?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    My CPS was bad and it would start most of the time, but it would start to stall out and was not in any kind of shape to get me to work and back.

I may be wrong, but does the replacing of the CPS require the timing to changed or checked?

No it requires no change to the timing, it is plug and play. And by the way I like the new MJ header on top of the page, it is missing one thing though, the only way to fix it would be........

More XJ!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plugged a computer in it and it said i had a bad crank sensor and a bad temperature control sensor for the radiator. so i proceeded to believe it was the crank sensor but i am kind of at a loss what is the general purpose of the crank sensor. And could the temperature sensor shut off the engine.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it did stall while driving, it is the CPS that is bad. A bad temp sensor would allow it to overheat. The CPS does something with the flywheel, and essentially watches a mark on it, to determine the position of the crank. As far as why it does it, I don't have a clue.

To fix it is simple.

1. Get new CPS (don't go with used JY one, get NEW)
    2. Get 11mm (maybe 10mm) socket
    3. Get about 24-36" of extensions
    4. Disco battery
    5. Replace CPS

To get at it, it's on the drivers side, top of the bellhousing for the tranny. Go from underneath the XJ. Use all the extensions and socket, and CAREFULLY remove the two bolts.

***They are small, and have been known to fall in the bell housing.***

CAREFULLY install new one (reverse process of removal ).
    Route wires AWAY from the exhaust manifold, as it may melt them and you need to do it all over again (ask me how I know).

IF the bolts do fall into the bellhousing, don't freak out. Just remove one of the access covers (forget where EXACTLY they are) and look around in there for them. You may need to get creative with a magnet or small screwdriver.

That's all there is to it.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki628 View Post
    I plugged a computer in it and it said i had a bad crank sensor and a bad temperature control sensor for the radiator. so i proceeded to believe it was the crank sensor but i am kind of at a loss what is the general purpose of the crank sensor. And could the temperature sensor shut off the engine.

The purpose of the crank sensor is to tell the engine control computer (ECM) what position the crank shaft is and also to tell the ECM what cylinder is about to be TDC ( top dead center), the ECM takes that info and fires the fuel injector and then the spark plug of the cylinder that is comming to TDC. All the crank sensor is an electromagnet and when the windings inside the sensor go bad heat can cause it to stop sending its signal to the ECM. When that happens you get no fuel or spark, in other words engine no run.